Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Amish Friendship Bread Starter recipe...Great Gift Idea!

I was so excited to get another starter STARTED for Amish Friendship Bread. I did this years ago when the kids were younger and loved it!
A dear friend gave me the directions to start another one!
I waited patiently for 10 days and today was baking day!

My first flavor was Chocolate with Chocolate Chips! The bread turned out amazing!

Amish Friendship Bread Starter


Ingredients

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

3 cups all-purpose flour, divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

Directions

1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

2.On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

3.Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

I gave a fresh loaf of Friendship bread to my girlfriend with a copy of this book and her own Amish Friendship bread starter. You could also include a wooden spoon with a cute ribbon tied around it. I placed all the gifts in a basket(or you could buy a mixing bowl) and included all the goodies I mentioned!! You can also give your friend a copy of this list of detailed instructions as well as an excellent Amish Friendship Bread recipe!

Amish Friendship Bread
- Do not use metal spoon for mixing
- Do not refrigerate
- If air builds up in bag. Burp it. It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble and ferment.
DATE:          ACTION:
____           Receive the bag. Do nothing
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Add one cup of:Flour, Sugar, Milk. Squeeze bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Squeeze the bag.
____           Pour batter into a large bowl. ADD one cup each
               of Flour, Sugar, and Milk. Mix
                with a wooden spoon. Pour three one(1) cup
               Starters into gallon size zip lock bags. Keep one
               for yourself and give the other two away with a
               copy of these instructions.


To the remaining batter add:
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup of oil
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs
1 cup chopped nuts(I use walnuts)
1/2 cup raisins
Mix well by hand.
Sprinkle 2 well-greased loaf pans(or 4 mini loaf pans) with mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Pour mixture into pans and sprinkle tops with sugar and Cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350* for 50 minutes to one hour.
I use all different kind of flavor combinations. I use Chocolate inst. pudding and add Chocolate chips. Vanilla pudding, leave the raisins out and add cinnamon chips. Butterscotch inst. pudding with Butterscotch chips. The possibilities are endless. I leave the Cinnamon out when making the chocolate flavor!

16 comments:

Cakelaw said...

What a sweet idea - I love it! Your bread looks oh so good.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this. It sounds like a great and interesting idea!

Val said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and thoughtful recipe.

Every Day Blessings said...

I've made this so many times and continue to love it. thanks for the reminder.

Jacque said...

Um, YUM!! Friendship and chocolate... doesn't get much better than that :)

Nicole said...

I had the starter once but I thought it had gone bad. Reading your post it was probably fine!

Tia said...

wow, this looks like a good challenge - I would love to try this!
Buttercreambarbie Tia

Judy said...

Glad you posted the recipe. I had some before, used it up, and didn't have the recipe to make it again.

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I love Amish Friendship Bread and usually there is always some floating around my circle of friends. However, somehow the circle dried up! I was wondering how to get a starter going again. FYI: Did you know you could freeze the bag on the first day you recieve it and start it again when you need some bread? I do this all the time because I recieve so many!

Kathy said...

I love this recipe…I once kept mine going for a couple months. My freezer was full of these wonderful breads and no one else would take my starter! I think it's time to start another starter!!

TeaLady said...

This is very different than the Amish Starter I had. Mine was more fruit based and clear. Hmm!

Have to try this one. And share.

Anonymous said...

This is very different for other recipe. I like this recipe so much It looking really very nice.
Kitchen unit

Michael said...

Yummy cake it is. This cake is so beautifully decorated. My favorite cake is pure chocolate cake. A given recipe is so delicious I loved it.
online casino

Michael said...

Wow, so sweet recipe is present here. I love your bread and want to try it.
casinos online

Anonymous said...

I have read these all idea and i am so impressed by that. So thanks for sharing such a best impressive information.

Anonymous said...

Great bread recipe is posted her. I read it and also tried it. I want to tell that it is an fabulous in taste. I Loved to reply that it is best site for me.
IT Support Toronto