It's time for French Fridays with Dorie!
Forgive me if I ramble a little here, but I have to share!
I don't know if you have heard of the Boise State Broncos. If not at this point, Boise is ranked #4 in the BCS Rankings. We don't seem to get a lot of credit. Boise ...What??, where's Boise ..Ohio? Aww... there just playing easy teams that's why they win... and on and on. I'm proud of Boise, I went to BSU, I met my husband at BSU, I gave birth to my son in Boise and I can tell you it is an awesome place to live! This last weekend Boise played Hawaii. A boy named Stephen was involved with the game. Stephen has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Read about his involvement with Boise State Football and what a great coach and man Chris Peterson is.
So living in Idaho my entire life, I know about IDAHO POTATOES!! I have gleaned potato fields before and have been around many potato trucks. Idaho Potatoes are about the only potatoes for sale in our grocery stores.
We even have a very special Potato Museum! Blackfoot is 20 miles from my town.
We use potatoes in our pancake mixes and even in cookies!
So this Gryere cheese cost a pretty penny. On the package I read it's been in a cave for 10 years. I'm not sure I could taste much of a difference then regular Swiss cheese.
We had company over to watch the BSU football game. My husband made up some great barbecue ribs and wings. I made the potato gratin. I doubled the recipe and put it my Pampered Chef pan. Two of my friends asked for the recipe so they can make it for their Thanksgiving dinner!! It was that good!
My favorite part of this dish is the golden brown cheese topping! If it didn't look super tacky I would have scraped the entire cheese top on to my plate.
I'm posting this recipe today(Nov 8) and our first snow fall of the year. We were having unseasonably warm weather this month. On Sat. I was wearing a tank top and flip flops. Today I got out my winter boots and sweaters!
This picture is taken from my front door looking out.







41 comments:
Hope you keep that cold weather out west! Your gratin looks wonderful...such a great recipe :)
I just used grated swiss.
Gruyere can not be found around these parts, so swiss is a great substitute.
I loved these potatoes.
The part about you wanting to scrape all of the cheese topping onto your plate made me LAUGH. OUT. LOUD. What a great idea! And, thank you for including such a heart-warming story. Btw, do you eat potato doughnuts or the regular yeast ones in Idaho?
Love potatoes (being Russian:)) and this looks great!
I would have totally scraped the cheese off! But then I'm not a potato lover--very un-Idahoan, I know! Glad your friends enjoyed it. We had our first snowfall on Oct 30, but it's been beautiful since then--I've been riding my bike everywhere.
:)
I would have arm wrestled you for the cheese topping - that's always the best part!
I can't believe you have snow already - it finally turned cold here - but cold to us is 63 degrees!
I had the same reaction to the top layer - I wanted to pick it all off and munch on it while it cooled!
What a funny post. And I now know more about potatoes. Hard to believe you are having snow. I'm with Megan I would have wrestled you for that ten year cave aged cheese Ha Ha. Love the post as usual GO BOISE!!!B
Love the potato photos. I'm so glad Idaho keeps making them! I think that I will try a cheaper cheese next time.
One of my best friends is from Idaho, so I always hear about good Idaho potatoes! :) Your gratin looks great and I am JEALOUS of your snow! Can you send some to El Paso? hahaha Have a great weekend!
Try to buy your Gruyeret at Costco next time. The price there is a lot better. Gruyere is my "go to" cheese. Love it! I have been making my gratin like that since forever. Delicious!
I love it when we get Idaho potatoes at Five Guys. :) I need to come visit the potato museum. That would be a fun trip. Glad the potato gratin turned out so well. We loved it!
Wow, your Gruyere cheese is really expensive in Idaho. I bought a small block at my grocery store here in NJ and it coast me less then 10 dollars. It must not have been cave aged…Your gratin looks great!!
The gratin looks fabulous! That's a great story about Stephen and BSU... however, I'm a die-hard Horned Frog and I bleed a mean purple, so I'm still sore over last year's Fiesta Bowl! :)
Enjoyed your photos & post! Kinda wish it was snowing here today!! :)
Snow already?! Wow. I have always wanted to visit Idaho because I have heard how beautiful it is there. And I would love to be able to get my hands on real Idaho potatoes! Your gratin looks super! I am sure your family enjoyed it.
A perfect recipe for Idaho! I'll have to tell my mom to make it. It looks wonderful - I can't wait to try it.
Your potato gratin looks lovely. I can't wait to try this out. I'm going to make it with pork chops. Yum!
Your potatoes look great! I love Gruyere, and I've been keeping it in the fridge since starting FFwD, since so many recipes call for it.
Yum, the potato gratin sounds lovely...cheese and all (I love cheese)...
I think your potatoes look really great...and I think they would be equally great with many different kinds of cheeses. Of course, I have never met a cheese that I didn't like, so that would be my opinion!! Love the Idaho potato thing. Here's one for you: I grew up in Iowa and I cannot tell you how many times people have said, "Oh, that's the potato state!" No, no, that would be Idaho!!! lol I even had one person say, "Oh, aren't they the same place?" You have to be kidding me, right????
First snowfall? It's so early. I LOVED your history about the Idaho potatoes. Great post! And the PG looks yummy!
Great post - loved the details about the Broncos and Idaho potatoes. Your gratin looks great, too.
Love the pampered chef pan for scalloped potatoes...so no wonder it's a natural for this dish. Yours look terrific. I'm looking forward to making these next week. And, I don't think it's tacky to take all the cheese topping on to your plate (as long as no one's looking)!
Nothing like cold rainy weather to get my cooking juices flowing. I love potato gratin. Perfect comfort food.
Plan B
Hey, I know about Idaho potatoes :) As a matter of fact, my family lived in Idaho for... what was it... 2nd and 6th grades (Twin Falls and Burley). Anyway, during on of those years, I can't remember which, we toured an OreIda potato factory. We got french fries at the end... wooo hoo! LOL, anyway, I have ALWAYS made sure to buy Idaho potatoes no matter where I lived. And I can't believe I've totally hijacked your post.. sorry. Anyway, your gratin looks fantastic! I so can't wait to make this next week.
Hi Michelle! Your gratin looks great! I just made mine tonight and it was yummy. Love your snow picture. No snow in southern California...though it's getting cool and actually feels like fall! The perfect time to bake a potato gratin. :)
I am lost wen u say sports:-(
But i love the ramble and thoughts:-)
Oh i wish i had access to Idaho potatoes ,after seeing all these pics :-)
Totally loved this gratin too!!
U sure made lods and i should next time too:-)
hey bdw, ur google id doesnt come with ur email so i cant email u the replies ,when i reply to what u say on my blog:-((
i love a chance to go all state pride in a blog post--i do it all the time with oregon products so i say, GO IDAHO POTATOES!
I wish someone would invent a pan to double the surface area on a gratin such as yours. OMG!
Trevor Sis. Boom.
Thanks for telling us about Boise - I shamefacedly admit to never having heard of it before. Now I had no idea what Idaho russets were, so I just bought Rebel Reds (does russet mean red skin??). Your gratin looks fab - but I know what you mean about the cheese, Gruyere just tastes like cheddar to me, and it costs a motza. Snow - we are coming into summer (very slowly), and it is awfully humid here today.
Doubling the recipe was a great idea, one I will have to use the next time I make this....and there will be a next time!
You can't beat Idaho spuds! Great recipe!
Oh, the crunchy cheese topping was delicious! Hello from Ohio!
Oh yes.....I will try this gratin, but I looked closely at the $$$$$ of the Gruyere...Yikes, 18.91. My husband would have a coronary if he saw this, but then again, maybe he'd have one if he ate this.
Thanks for the hints and recipe,
Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island
Oh thanks so much for sharing the picture of your first snow! If I get a chance I'll do the same thing - although in Vancouver rain is pretty much the only weather we can count on. You're gratin looks divine! I say take all the cheese!
Allison
Wow this gratin looks amazing, really! I love the potato tribute, too!
Your gratin looks soooo delicious! Wish I could chomp down on it right now.
great idea to serve this dish with some BBQ during a day of football. It looked delicious!
Love all the info re the potatoes and the support of your team. I'm from Oregon, so for me it's Go Ducks! ;)
LOVE this gratin. It's dangerous, so I only made two little ramekins and just tasted a bite of one. (I've decided to just blog FFWD once a month with all the things I've made.)
My kids don't like the browned cheese topping--silly, silly kids! ;)
Post a Comment