We had three Birthdays to celebrate this month. I found this recipe in a cookbook my mom gave me. I'm sad I didn't find it a long time ago. It's my favorite Chocolate cake now!
If you get a chance you MUST make this cake. It is so moist and delicious. The frosting is to die for!! I love the chocolate chips in it too!
Recipe for Chocolate Chocolate Chip cake
Adapted from The Best Of Country Cooking Cookbook
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 squares(1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsps vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter milk
2 cups(2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
FROSTING:
2/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cocoa
5 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. ADD chocolate and vanilla;mix well.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with butter milk. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour into three greased and floured 9- inch round cake pans. Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla; beat well. Frost between layers and top and sides of cake
Yield: 12 servings.
If you get a chance you MUST make this cake. It is so moist and delicious. The frosting is to die for!! I love the chocolate chips in it too!
Recipe for Chocolate Chocolate Chip cake
Adapted from The Best Of Country Cooking Cookbook
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 squares(1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsps vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter milk
2 cups(2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
FROSTING:
2/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cocoa
5 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. ADD chocolate and vanilla;mix well.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with butter milk. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour into three greased and floured 9- inch round cake pans. Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla; beat well. Frost between layers and top and sides of cake
Yield: 12 servings.
7 comments:
This looks so good! And I love the new look of your blog - very cool. Happy New Year!
It looks SO good, Michelle! Happy New Year to you and your family!
I can see why that's your fav choc cake. It looks fantastic.
Thanks for visiting :o) A very happy New Year to you, hubby and the kids!!
Happy New Year Michelle! I said it on FB and I'll say it here - this cake looks awesome!
I must make this for my class. They will flip. They adore chocolate.
I may have to try this recipe. I'll have to substitute the shortening for butter. I hope it will be just as good!
how much cocoa in the frosting?
Post a Comment