Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Peanut-Butter French Toast Waffles With Mixed-Berry Sauce and First day of school

It's finally here, the first day of school. Our school started 2 weeks later this year. It was nice having the kids around for some extra days of summer, but nice for them moms going crazy and running out of things to do to get back in a routine.

My three all ready for the first day of school. I have a jr., 7th grader and a senior this year!
I was actually excited for the first day of school to start so I could make this new recipe! Every year I make the kids a special breakfast. I found this recipe in the Sunday paper and knew it was the one for this year!

Monique and her bestfriend Savannah. they are both seniors this year!

Now on to the recipe! Isn't it nice how special occasions always come with good food. Man life is good!

Peanut-Butter French Toast Waffles With Mixed-Berry Sauce
Mixed-Berry Sauce
One 16 oz. bag Frozen mixed Berries, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. seedless raspberry preserves
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Combine the fruit and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil stir occasionally, until berries soften, 10 minutes.

Transfer Berry mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the raspberry preserves and lemon juice;blend until smooth. transfer to a bowl;cool to room temperature.

Waffles
8 slices whole wheat or white bread, crust removed
4 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
Nonstick spray

The night before. Put bread on a baking rack;let stale overnight.

Crack eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly. Add milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk.

Spread 1 tbsp of peanut butter on 4 slices of bread. top with remaining slices to make four sandwiches. Flatten slightly. Soak sandwiches in egg mixture, 4 to 5 minutes per side.



Heat a square four-slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions. (I used my heart shaped waffle iron and it worked well) Spray top and bottom grates with nonstick spray. Remove sandwiches from the egg mixture using a slotted spatula, allowing excess liquid to drip off.  Make two at a time on the diagonal of the grates. Press down lightly at first, then add a little more pressure to the cover and press until it is completely closed. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove each waffle to a plate. Drizzle with mixed berry syrup.

Monique and I enjoyed the berry sauce. My other two liked it with maple syrup. Either way is good just don't forget to add whipped topping!



Very good and very filling!


So this is my spinning,kickboxing and yoga instructor Brandi. She is also my friend. I didn't make it to the gym this morning at my usual 5am time. So... she showed up on my door step at 7:00am. I was glad I could feed her so she didn't make me drop and give her 50!!
Oh my gosh..she's gonna kill me...ha ha...lol!!!

10 comments:

Nichicakes said...

french toast in the waffle iron! who knew! sure looks good

Cristine said...

Looks delicious! Happy first day of school!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Your 'kids' are beautiful !!

Megan said...

Your daughters are just beautiful and your son is so handsome!

I too always make a super special breakfast the first day but have found the kids are too nervous to eat it.

That being said, I'd make (and devour) that french toast in a second!

Eliana said...

Special ocassions is all about good food in my house :)

Beth said...

I loved the photos of your family. They're so lucky to have a mom who bakes such a great first-day-of-school breakfast!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Looks delicious! My family loves french toast for dinner. I've never thought about making a stuffed version. You always have the best recipes!

Jacque said...

Oh my gosh, can you adopt me please? I'd even go back to high school for a piece of that french toast. Delish!

Your've got a good-looking bunch of kids there. (Mine FINALLY go back on Tuesday, whew!)

Jaime said...

looks delicious!! i love sweet breakfast foods :) savory, not so much :P

i understand that life gets busy and you can't bake along w/everyone every time. thanks for taking the time to visit my blog regardless! :)

welcometomyfrontporch said...

WOAH!!! Your kids have grown up!