A legendary dessert from Vancouver Island. Nanamio Bars are a layered cookies that get their name from a town called Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island. They are a sweet treat with a base of crushed graham crackers, nuts and coconut topped with a buttery middle layer, then finished with glossy semi-sweet chocolate.
Years ago someone made these bars and I asked for the recipe. They would not give it to me. I never have had someone refuse to give me a recipe before...I thought it was silly not to share.. Since then I have seen several recipes and versions for this Canadian classic. Some call for peanut butter in the filling. This recipe is my favorite so far, and tastes similar to the Nanamio bars I tasted years ago.
Recipe for Nanamio Bars
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
Chill:1 hour, 45 minutes
Makes: 48 bars Adapted from Canadian Living magazine
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cup butter, melted. plus 2 tablespoons unmelted
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups confectioners' sugar
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350*. Grease 13x9 inch cake pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving 1 inch extending over long edges; set aside. Whisk together eggs, 1 cup of the melted butter, cocoa and sugar in large bowl; stir in crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
2. Stir together remaining 1/3 cup of the melted butter, milk and vanilla in medium bowl;beat in confectioner's sugar until smooth. Spread evenly over cooled base. Refrigerate until firm. about 45 minutes.
3. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter, Heat 1 minute;stir. Heat 30 seconds; stir until melted and smooth. Spread evenly over filling. Score the surface into serving size pieces. Refrigerate until set, about 1 house. Use parchment paper to lift bars from pan;peel off paper, Cut into bars.
Nutrition information Per bar: 184 calories, 50 percent of calories from fat, 11g fat,6 gram saturated fat,24 mg cholesterol,22 g. carbohydrates, 2g protein, 47 mg sodium, 1 g. fiber
Years ago someone made these bars and I asked for the recipe. They would not give it to me. I never have had someone refuse to give me a recipe before...I thought it was silly not to share.. Since then I have seen several recipes and versions for this Canadian classic. Some call for peanut butter in the filling. This recipe is my favorite so far, and tastes similar to the Nanamio bars I tasted years ago.
Recipe for Nanamio Bars
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
Chill:1 hour, 45 minutes
Makes: 48 bars Adapted from Canadian Living magazine
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cup butter, melted. plus 2 tablespoons unmelted
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups confectioners' sugar
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350*. Grease 13x9 inch cake pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving 1 inch extending over long edges; set aside. Whisk together eggs, 1 cup of the melted butter, cocoa and sugar in large bowl; stir in crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
16 comments:
Looks great! I made Nanaimo bars with the Daring Bakers a few months ago and thought they were great. Yours look so good... makes me want one!
These do look yummy! My parents live in Nanaimo, it's a nice city.
I made these once a couple years ago. They were really good! Yours look super yummy.
Holy cow these looks fantastic!!! They are going on my to-bake list FOR SURE!!
I've never heard of these. They look soooooooooo good.
These look awesome! I would love a sweet treat right about now. ;)
I love it ,but it seems to difficult to do.
Oh wow! This looks SO delicious! I will have to try it SOON!!
-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com
I tried these for the first time earlier this year and I loved them... they're such a unique treat. Yours look delish and now I want some :)
I'm from Nanaimo, and can certainly vouch for the deliciousness of Nanaimo Bars. Loved seeing your post!
Amanda from Nourish
They look great! I've been wanting to try these!
They look oooey, gooey and delish!
How offputting of folks who don't share their recipes. (especially if they are not in a business-which then can be understandable).
Thanks for your lovely comment on my SMS post sweetie!
Carmen
these look so good, I have heard abouth them but never seen them made..yummy
sweetlife
These bars have all my favorite things. Yours look delicious.
YUM! I've never had these, but all the ingredients are some of my biggest flavor LOVES. I'll be bookmarking this one for sure!!!
gourmified.blogspot.com
Blue topaz ring will certainly be thpmas sabo your best option if you are intended to thomas sabo jewellery include a ring into your gemstone jewelry collection. cheap thomas sabo charms Either if you wish to wear the ring on a special occasion or thomas bracelets wear this sort of ornaments on a daily basis, silver charm carriers it is up to your account. Blue thomas sabo necklaces topaz ring can ensure you that you will attract every person.
Post a Comment