Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

TWD Second Anniversary and Tarte tatin

Happy Second Anniversary TWD. This week we got to choose between two recipes. One was Cocoa Buttermilk Birthday cake and the other Tarte Tatin. We have celebrated so many birthdays this past month I'm pretty much burned out on cake. I thought this Tarte Tatin had a fun history and it looked good. Here are my apples ready to slice... Mixing and Mixing forever..my butter/sugar mixture never became the dark caramel color Dorie described....
I do not own a oven proof skillet or a Tarte tatin pan so I followed a tip from the P&Q comments. I transferred the apples from my frying pan to a 9 inch cake pan covered with cooking spray. I then laid the puff pastry over the top of that and baked.
I had to cross my fingers and hold my breath when I flipped it...I was so happy it stayed intact and looked good, other then pale apples and it didn't look a thing like Dories picture.
I sprinkled some cinnamon on top for an added touch of flavor and color!
My 12 year old son was the first to bite into this. He said," I don't know about you mom, but this is good"! I then had a slice with whipped cream topping and I fell in love. I mean what can be better then apples saturated with butter and sugar then nestled on top a crisp pastry shell...YUM! I'm in love with Tarte Tatin!

33 comments:

Sabrina said...

I did the same thing as you.... I don't have a cast iron skillet so I just transfered it. Worked great!
Yours looks really good! Yum!
Nice work!

natalia said...

I love when the children are eating happily what we bake !!

Katrina said...

I love the way you sliced the apples. Looks great! I really liked this, too. (I'm a sucker for puff pastry, which is not good. ;)
Having a giveaway on my blog today!

Tina said...

geez...this looks fantastic. I'll be right over for coffee this morning.

chocolatechic said...

Brilliant idea.

I had to smile at what your son said.

Kids are just the cutest things.

Valerie Gamine said...

My tart was fair in colour too but the taste was perfect. Yours turned out quite lovely! And I like the size of your apple slices. I had an issue with mine. :)

Kayte said...

What's not to love about pastry, apples, and sugar???? LOL. I actually had good success with this one, hard to tell when the apples might be TOO brown, but it all tasted lovely. You have a hit when the kids eat it! Happy New Year!

Mary said...

I like your sliced apples--I hate crunchy apples in pie! Glad the kids liked it! Mine was enjoyed by the grown-ups!

Tia said...

nice tarte!

Susan said...

You can never go wrong adding cinnamon to apples. Your tarte looks delicious! Save me a slice! :D

Maria said...

Happy 2 years. The tarte tatin looks lovely!

Cristine said...

Cinnamon would make a nice addition. Your tarte looks yummy!

Michele said...

I love apples and this looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this was a big hit at your house! I'm glad you were able to make it work by transferring it to another pan.

Cakelaw said...

Hey, hey - just goes to show, it doesn't matter if it doesn't look like the picture - it can still be fab. I liked this too.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I am not sure anything can be better than butter sugar apples and pastry! :)

Paula said...

You sliced your apples kind of like I did. Realize now I should have used halves and maybe they would have caramelized better. Anyway, looks like yours turned out fine. I also added cinnamon. Think we were on the same wavelength this week.

Unknown said...

Yep, it certainly seems like this one was a winner all around! I went with the cake (which was delicious) but I hope to make the tarte tatin soon. I skipped it this week because I didn't have the right size pan but you've inspired me to try with a cake pan :)

dharmagirl said...

gorgeous apple slices! i was so worried about making caramel that i made the cake instead, though i really want to try this sometime.

Megan said...

Mmmm, mmmm - it looks perfect Michelle, and adding cinnamon on top was the way to go. I'll make a note to do that next time.

Anonymous said...

All those apples look fantastic - wasn't this a great dessert to make? Glad you enjoyed it - that's half the fun, besides eating it!

mike
twd blog: web.me.com/mikejdunlap

Shelby said...

It doesn't have to look perfect to taste perfect! I agree, how could anything cooked in butter and sugar not be yummy!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

This looks delicious! I've not tried a Tarte tatin before - not even sure I would know where to start! You're son just paid you such a high compliment! Are they great!

Hanaâ said...

I can only imagine how yummy this tasted, especially with cinnamon and a nice dollop of whipped cream.

Btw, I learned a while back (I think from America's Test Kitchen), that if you don't have an ovenproof pan, you can wrap the handles with a few layers of heavy duty alu foil for protection, and still use it in the oven.

Anonymous said...

The one skillet method makes it much easier to get the tops golden, I think. But I was also reading in Mastering the Art of French Cooking where Juila Child said that if it isn't gold just to dust the top with powdered sugar and broil for a second...might make that way a little easier ;)

I love the way the sliced apples look!

Leslie said...

Looks beautiful! The cinnamon sounds good...wish I'd done that!

Amber Marie said...

My apples stayed pale as well - but very tasty! Glad you enjoyed!

Hindy said...

Your tarte looks perect. I love all your process photos! I had to drain off some of the liquid to get carmelization.

Pamela said...

It looks great! This dessert was SO GOOD. Loved the caramel apples on the pastry crust and I can't wait to make it again.

Bella Baker said...

My apples never got fully carmelized either, but this dessert tasted delicious, and thats all that counts, right? Yours looks beautiful! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

It took MUCH longer to caramelize the apples than it said in the book! So if you attempt this again, let em cook. They'll be fine :)

Julie said...

This looks beautiful and yummy!!

TeaLady said...

Yep, nothing beats apples, sugar, and crust.

Glad it was a hit.