It's January 19, 2010 and time for another wonderful fantastic TWD recipe. Our hostess this week is Lillian of Confectiona’s Realm. She picked Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars, on pages 114 and 115.
Thank you Lillian for choosing my now new favorite TWD recipes. This one ranks as high as Dorie's blueberry pie !! I l-o-v-e these bars!!
I just loved plopping the dough on top of the chocolate. I liked the fact we did not have to spread it out to a uniform layer..we just got to throw it on !!
This recipe was not hard to make. I did have to dirty up a lot of kitchen baking supplies but it was well worth the mess! I did not use the raisins or peanuts as suggested. Instead I used pecans and walnuts. I did not refrigerate them and did not wait 2 hours before cutting them. We waited 45 minutes and they were perfect. The dough on top turns into these yummy crunchy cookie blobs. The chocolate center melts in your mouth and the bottom is just the right amount of chewiness. It wraps up to be the perfect sinful fattening bar. I had two and the second one I put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top..Oh well so much for limiting my sweet intake! They tasted so incredible I could not stop myself! We ended up having a group of friends over for coffee and yes..these yummy bars. Everyone loved them and it was so nice to share the calories!
I did wrap up the rest of these delicious bars and shared them with my neighbor. I have not given them treats in awhile so I thought it was time!
41 comments:
WOW! Looks very tempting.
Ciao ! Nice photos ! Glad you loved them !
I loved being able to just plop the last layer on too!
You did a great job!
Oh YUM does that look good!
It is nice to spread the love around via a fattening dessert. And I agree, throwing the oatmeal dough on top was fun! It took away some of the frustration of knowing that there were a lot of dishes to wash. :) Well done!
Glad you're so happy with your new TWD fave! These are very versatile bars for all kinds of nuts and adds-in. I knew my family wouldn't eat them with the raisins, so I went with pecans, oh and caramel! Divine! And dangerous! The boys are eating them up almost more than any other TWD recipe, which makes me happy! Love your dough blobs on top!
one of my new favorites too!
I didn't wait the 2 hours for cooling either.
I think they were better a bit warm.
I guess you really, really liked these? :)
Oh my! Those photos are making me drool on my keyboard!
These are delicious aren't they? My husband wouldn't let me take them to work they were so good. :)
These look good. Maybe after I have my holidays sweet cool down period I will back track some of the January picks.
These are my new favourites too! Yours look great!
These were SOOOOO delicious!
Yours look wonderful!
these were pretty delish!! yours look absolutely great mouth-watering!
as for just haphazardly plopping on the last layer... i think i'm ocd, because there was nothing haphazard about it haha! i was methodically placing the oatmeal mixture on, pretending to be haphazard ;) i have problems.
These look super duper rich and delicious!
Ooooooh those look fantastic. Ooey gooey chocolate goodness! Will have to try these. I have no excuse NOT to cuz I have Dorie's book (and probably all the ingredients needed) :o)
Thanks for stopping by. Hubby really loved his birthday cake. It was a 2-day process but well worth the effort!
These have risen to the top of my list as well. So so so good.
Good for you for sharing! I put mine in gallon size Ziploc bags and froze them (sent some home with a friend too). I can share or take a few out at a time. You loved them and I was laughing when you said you had the second one with ice cream on top, only because I swore I was going to cut down on baking goodies and find myself doing the same thing =D.
Your bars look wonderful. I love how you made the topping look like dumplings on top.
I loved these too. They are wonderful.
I am so glad I had no ice cream in the house. I ate enough of these plain! Yours look so yummy!
My mouth is totally watering. Grumpy ate what was left for cake in the house and I'm wanting something sweet! This looks oh so yummy!
These were pretty darn good! Yum!
Looks great! These were so easy and so delicious - rich, but delicious! Glad you enjoyed them - I did too!
Mike
TWD blog:
web.me.com/mikejdunlap
Your bars look so great and I am so glad you loved them so much! I left the nuts out on mine, and while I liked them, I think leaving out the nuts changed the taste. Still great though!!! So nice of you to share with everyone!
They look gorgeous! I'm so glad that you loved them so much!
Made another batch today by request...guys loved, loved, loved them. Yours look so good...very fudgy and that's what the guys loved about these. Love your plops...I wasn't sure how to do that, so I just took tiny pieces and scattered them about...the plops look like more fun!
Terrific step by step photos.
I bet these bars were delicious with vanilla ice cream...yum!
Yay for a new favorite! You were smart to share some with your neighbors, it's way to easy to keep coming back for another taste or two of these.
I'm so glad you liked them. They shot way up to the top of my favorites list too. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Your bars look gorgeous!
These were delicious!
Serving it with ice cream--now why didn't I think of that! I love that you can tweek this recipe by changing some of the ingredients or leaving some out, and they still taste great!
These were a delicious treat. My kids did not wait more than ten minutes before cutting in to them.
Mimi
Lovely bars! I'm pleased you had so many people to enjoy them. My work group raved too.
Looks delicious. Great job! I can't wait for the next TWD bake!
yes, they were pretty tasty, weren't they. I like the plops of cookie on top.
Yuuuum, these would be perfect with vanilla ice cream! I also love the idea of adding pecans and walnuts, might try that variation next time.
You bars look lovely. And I wish I would have saved less of the "topping" so that I would have more chocolate peak through like yours. Great job!
These look fantastic! I'm sorry mine are all gone!
I love your blog heading - I've been neglectful of my blog browsing and missed when you changed! Soo many goodies to see all at once!
I love your photos - the progression of the cookies are fun to see. For some reason these cookies weren't all that fab for me although the Beau took them to work and said it had the best reception so far out of the TWD goodies he's taken in to work!
Post a Comment