Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sweet Melissa Sunday Carrot Cake

Thank you Julie for selecting this weeks SMS recipe.http://littlebitofeverythingne.blogspot.com/ Be sure to check out her blog ! Julie is from Omaha, Nebraska. I feel a little connection with her. My Dad was born and raised in a little town called Valentine NE. My brother went to Creighton Law School and I have several family members living in Nebraska. We spent many summers in that area when I was a kid. Julie is a great baker, cook and blogging buddy. I look fwd to all of her sweet comments she leaves for me week after week. I love loyal bloggers!!

 I have only made one carrot cake recipe in my life. I was excited to try something new! You know how you can get stuck baking the same tired and true recipe over and over! That is why I love these baking groups, it's nice to break away and try new things! The texture of this cake is somewhat like a sweet bread. At least the appearance of it is. I have not tried it yet! I made this today with plans to take it to a pot luck on Sunday. I hope it tastes good! I'm not gonna lie to you ..I don't make real pretty cakes..I really don't care because they taste good and my family loves me! I love my new oven! This cake was the first cake I have baked in it. I love that I can cook something for dinner in one half and have a pie or something for dessert cooking in the top. Thanksgiving will be much easier this year!
Oh..since I'm talking about new ..can you see my granite counter tops...I am in love!
I did not change one thing in this recipe. I followed it exactly like it read! I'm happy I did because the cake and the frosting turned out great!
I was very pleased with the way the frosting turned out. I love the orange zest! I did eat a spoonful of this and loved it!
I hope to get a picture of a slice of this cake after I cut it Sunday afternoon. I have a feeling it's going to taste wonderful!
Thanks again Julie for a fun selection! I love baking cakes and this one was especially wonderful because you picked it!
Im here to report back the cake was  delicious! I had three people ask for the recipe..so good and moist. I really loved the orange zest flavor! 


24 comments:

Nina said...

Congrats on getting your kitchen finished! Your cake looks beautiful regardless how much you think it does. I like the homemade look to a more polished and a refined look - it's more homey and everyone knows that you made it not it's not bought! The two different parts to your oven looks so interesting. The top part seems so small. I have two ovens at home too, but the second bottom one is smaller and is used as storage...well so is the top one. I swear my parents do not use the oven at all except to make ribs and turkey.

Jessica said...

I think your cake looks beautiful, Michelle! I love all of the bits of orange zest that are in the frosting. It looks just like a layer cake should, fluffy and ready to cut into.
Your kitchen is gorgeous, and your oven looks like it will be so much fun for baking! I'm a teensy bit jealous! :)

Julie said...

Michelle - Thanks so much for your wonderful comments!!! You're a great blogging friend.

Congratulations on the kitchen! Looks beautiful and a new kitchen is so much fun!! The countertops are beautiful!!

Your cake looks beautiful! Homemade cakes are so special!

Thanks again for the sweet post!

Candy said...

Your cake looks beautiful and I'm sure it was delicious! Completely jealous of your granite counter tops!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love that double oven.

The cake looks great. I did not frost. I was waiting to check out those who frosted.

We like carrot cake and this one we just right.

Eliana said...

Looks awesome. Hope you like it once you try it and I am super jealous of your new oven and countertop :)

Tina said...

You make lovely cakes...I'll be right over.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Michelle,

Love the rustic look on your cake. I am not much of a fancy decorator on my baked goods. I'm trying though, but, I have not done a lot of decorating. I am very much into great taste & a good texture of a baked product...just like you!

That kitchen...girl...I would say I'm jealous, but I put in granite in my kitchen too... so I feel your delight! But, your oven...well, that's a different story. Wish I had ME one of those!:)))

Have a great day!
Carmen

Cristine said...

Your cake looks lovely and I am totally jealous of your oven! :)

Sherry G said...

Your kitchen looks wonderful! I'm super jealous of that double oven haha. Nice looking cake too!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Nice blog. The pastries looks yummy. Blog hopping. :) Can you visit my blog too, and leave some comments? :D

Unknown said...

Your kitchen looks wonderful Michelle!! I love the new countertops and am super jealous of your oven. It will be amazing to be able to cook two things at once in the different ovens.

Great job on the cake - I think it looks lovely! I really enjoyed this one - definitely a top SMS recipe for me!

Jaime said...

you've only made 1 carrot cake recipe before? **gasp**
you'll have to try my favorite :)
i'm not a big decorator either but i think your cake looks great!

k.a.r.e.n said...

I love your kitchen! I cant wait to redo mine.

Your cake looks awesome! I hate making layer cooks too cause they come out so ugly but who cares if they taste delicious!

Susan said...

I couldn't keep my eyes on the cake...that beautiful oven and counter top kept pulling my eyes away! :D Your cake turned out just beautiful!!

Shandy said...

Michelle, your granite counter tops are gorgeous and so is your stove! Fun isn't it? I bet it is hard letting anyone just set something on the counters right now? You definitely deserve every inch of it!

Your carrot cake turned out beautiful too! The frosting happened to be my best part and I just figured out that I usually put in crushed pineapple. I couldn't put my finger on what I thought was missing until I went to Tracey's blog and she added the crushed pineapple. Too funny!

SOOOO, are you scheduling any runs for Spring?

I am doing my first 30 mile bike tomorrow afternoon. The ride gets canceled if there is rain, so my fingers are crossed. I had to pick up a few things for the bike and had a heart attack over how much everything costs! CRAZY =o|

Hugs!

Cakelaw said...

Yay for your new oven! And yay for it baking such a delicious looking cake!

Stephanie said...

NICE OVEN! Thats going to make things much faster and easier in the kitchen! and those counter tops - veryyyy niceeeee! you must love cooking and baking even more now!

I hope everyone liked your cake!!

spike. said...

loves perfect- great way to use the new oven!

Hanaâ said...

I'm glad this was a big hit for you, especially since you were on the fence on this one. I added orange zest to the batter which everybody loved.
The cake looks extra pretty sitting on your new counters. Enjoy your remodeled kitchen. I still am :o)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Congrats on the new oven and kitchen. How cool. Your cake looks great!

Talita said...

I'm becoming to desire a carrot cake after see all those carrot cake in many blogs.
Your carrot cake also looks yummyliicious!

Sihan said...

hey michelle! the counter tops look fantastic! I'm pretty sure you'l be able to create more pretty bakes on those!

And by the way, I wish i could have a slice of that carrot cake. Looks totally drool worthy!

can i add that I'm totally jealous about the new oven?

Tessa said...

Your cake and kitchen look great! I too often have troubles getting the frosting to look somewhat presentable, but when it tastes great, what does it matter :-)

Sorry I'm late with the comments. I have just gotten back home after being out of town.