Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

SMS Turtle Pie in Chocolate crust

Today is January 10 and time for another SMS! We made Chocolate Pie Crust - creative opportunity - by Donna of L’Amour de Tarte For the recipe see...... http://lamourdetarte.blogspot.com/ The crust before the fillings were added.... I chose to make Turtle pie...I usually made an oreo crust for this pie but I decided to give this one a try...
Sorry about the blurry pictures..I was in a hurry and to lazy to have Picasso fix them!
I think I will stick with the oreo crust. This crust was so easy to make it just tasted bland. My family ate the turtle part and left the crust. It just tasted like flour to me..no flavor at all.
Here is the recipe for the Turtle pie... Ingredients:
Cookie Crust Ingredients: 2 cups Oreo Cookie crumbs 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
Caramel Filling Ingredients: 1 cup caramel candies( 20 Candies) 1/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream 1/2 pound pecan pieces ( 2 cups)
Topping ingredients: 3/4 cup or 4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips 1/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
Directions:
Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine cookie crumbs with butter or margarine in medium bowl. Press evenly in bottom of 9 inch tort or pie plate. If necessary, use wooden spoon to press crust into place. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Filling: Melt caramels on stove or in microwave,stirring frequently. Stir in cream and remove from heat Stir in pecans. Spread evenly in prepared crust
Refrigerate at least 10 minutes.
Make topping by melting chocolate on stove top and cream and drizzle over pecan mixture.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

20 comments:

Nina said...

YUM. it looks good. Although I was not able to taste my pie, I do think that the crust had no flavor either since my friend had left a piece of it in his plate while he was tasting it.

Stephanie said...

Mm, your filling sounds yum! Too bad the pie crust was a bit bland (I agree, it definitely needed something). At least they got to enjoy the inside!

Candy said...

Turtle Pie - yummy! I haven't decided if I'm going to make the piecrust or sit out this week based on the lackluster reviews. But your filling sounds awesome!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Okay, let's try this again. I wish these had edit :).

My crust was blah, too but I thought it was me. Interesting to see others felt the same way.

Love your turtle filling and oreo crust would rock!

Katiecakes said...

I hear Americans talking about chocolate turtles all the time but I have no idea what they are... haha!

I know what you mean about the crust, so bland.

Katie xox

Michele said...

Yum! Turtle pie. This looks really good.

Unknown said...

This pie sounds delicious Michelle! Glad you enjoyed the filling. I'm with you on the crust though - very bland - and mine was difficult to work with too.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

This looks so RICH! I've never made a chocolate pie crust. Maybe a graham cracker crust might work. does it taste like Turtle chocolates?

Anonymous said...

I love the pie. I make the Oreo crust with another cream filled cookie and it is always rich enough. I love that you filled it with caramel - a favorite of mine.

Shelby said...

pecans, caramel, chocolate what more could one want?

k.a.r.e.n said...

Cant believe this crust was a disappointment to so many of us. But all of our fillings are luscious! I love yours!

Megan said...

Bland chocolate pie crust? That's terrible! I certainly won't waste my time on that.

The rest of the pie looks great, no doubt about it.

Jaime said...

yeah, i wasn't a huge fan of the crust either. oreos are so much better, and easier! :) the turtle filling looks great though!

spike. said...

turtle filling sounds amazing!

Eliana said...

Your pie looks super delish!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We're making our way back to the top of the list and your pick is coming up soon, please let me know if you are still participating so I can update the Baking Roster.

Thanks.

Please email me at sweetmelissasunday(at)gmail(dot)com.

Shandy said...

Your filling looks delish! Love it and next time . . . I am SOOOOO using your crust recipe. I mean it! My whole night was a flop and I would so stay away from my blog entry encase my floppishness is contagious right now. Really! Hugs, Shandy

Susan said...

Oh my, Turtle Pie! Sounds dangerous. I am not even going to print the recipe because I do not need to eat anything else sweet! Well, maybe I will print it and save it for a different day. :}

Anonymous said...

Blue topaz ring will certainly be thpmas sabo your best option if you are intended to thomas sabo jewellery include a ring into your gemstone jewelry collection. cheap thomas sabo charms Either if you wish to wear the ring on a special occasion or thomas bracelets wear this sort of ornaments on a daily basis, silver charm carriers it is up to your account. Blue thomas sabo necklaces topaz ring can ensure you that you will attract every person.