Thank you Macduff of The Lonely Sidecar for choosing the Cafe Volcano Cookies on page 153.
When I saw this recipe all I could think of is me in the fifth grade building one of those Volcano's in Science class. I never was into Science and the Volcano was not fun to me. Luckily my partner was the smarty pants and did a pretty good job of setting the thing off!
So a volcano erupts because of heat and pressure..I thought maybe these cookies may do the same..but they spread out like the after effects of a volcano eruption....can we say Lava!
This is the Craters of the Moon..A National State Park abut 3 hours from my home....

So does that picture look similar to this one....???!!!

In place of the Espresso powder, I used my powder Big Train Chai tea! I used hazelnuts instead of Almonds. It was a little to sweet but OK tasting. My daughter smothered hers with chocolate and peanut butter and said it was better that way!
16 comments:
He, he - I love that your daughter put peanut butter and chocolate on them. They didn't puff, but I'm sure they were delish.
Children know how to make everything better. Yay for peanut butter and chocolate!
Funny! Because they look exactly like that!
Sorry about the confusion on my blog, I just meant "read on" b/c some people don't think to scroll down and I had two posts today: one for MSC and one for TWD.
We loved these cookies, and they did look rather bizzare, but the guys inhaled them, so I wish I had made more than half a batch, meaning, I will make the other half a batch sometime this week.
Yours look great!
Hey, I went to Craters once. But I did think and also liken these cookies to lava more than a volcano. Too crunchy. The kids are making a mess with them!
Mine didn't spread that much and I wonder why yours did. I left my nuts just barely chopped, I wonder if that helped. Who knows. Fun cookie to try, but not sure I'd make them again.
PB and chocolate--ooh, yeah!
awww! I bet my son would have loved peanut butter on these as well. :)
I did notice a similarity between the two pictures, but it could be the lighting! :) Glad your daughter enjoyed them. Kids have all the answers!
Uhh - yep - mine look the exact same way. Not a pretty sight at all.
Peanut butter and chocolate make almost everything better! I think your cookies look great, but there IS a very strong resemblance to the lava flow.
They do look like lava! I think these were really sweet whether they were tall or flat. My husband likes really sweet things, so they were a hit with him.
I think they look good and the peanut butter was a great idea!
Peanut butter and chocolate sound like a great addition. YUM.
Is there anything that chocolate and peanut butter doesn't improve? I liked these cookies, but I think your daughter has the right idea!
I didn't love these, but I'm sure I would have had a different reaction had I been as smart as your daughter :) I love Craters of the Moon - so otherworldly. You're lucky to be so close!
Amazing...the photos do resemeble each other! ;-)
a drizzling of chocolate sounds yummy! mine were pretty much... well... i'm sure you'll see ;)
Post a Comment