Big sister and little brother work so well together!
My kids minus one(she was away at a soccer tournament) had fun carving pumpkins together..
These flowers are from some dear friends of ours......
I love this arrangement....
Looks like a burst of sunshine to me....
Sorry I can not participate in TWD this week. I just made a chocolate cake,a sourcream coffee cake (see below) and my son wants dirt cake for his birthday, on Oct. 30. I think we all ready had way to many sweets in the house.
This is one of the recipes I grew up with. My mom made this at least once a month. I can remember smelling this early in the morning as I laid in bed, waiting to arise. What a delicious memory of a warm house, sweet mother and this perfect coffee cake to start the day. I was so fond of this recipe and can't believe I misplaced it. If you know me I keep great track of my recipes and cookbooks. I have a special place for all of them. Well today a friend shared this recipe with me and I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see it. It's the exact one my mom used to make for us years ago. I didn't waste any time making it! Here is the recipe...
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Recipe....
1 1/2 c Cake flour 1/2 c Flour 1 ts Baking soda 1 ts Baking powder 1/2 c Butter 1 c Sugar 1 Egg, lightly beaten 1 ts Vanilla 1 c Sour cream ----------------------------------TOPPING---------------------------------- 1/4 c Flour 3/4 c Brown sugar; packed 1/4 ts Salt 1 c Chopped walnuts 1/4 c Butter
Directions : All ingredients should be at room temperature. In bowl mix together flours, soda and baking powder. In another bowl cream together butter with sugar until fluffy and light. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add half of dry ingredients, mixing just until flour is blended. Blend in sour cream, then remaining dry ingredients. Spread half of batter lightly into a 10-inch tube pan. Sprinkle with half of Topping and spread with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining Topping. Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 45 minutes. TOPPING: Mix together flour, sugar, salt and nuts. Add butter in small pieces. Rub in by hand until mixture is crumbly. Be careful not to over mix. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I found this very interesting too...I don't remember this in my school cafeteria.... Do you?
By: Rose Dosti, L.A. Times, Culinary SOS, in response to, "If I were dying, I would want the coffee cake served in the junior and senior high schools in Los Angeles as my last meal. Do you, by chance, have the recipe?" Rose responded, "Our sentiments exactly. Here's the recipe as provided by the Los Angeles Unified School District archives. As a matter of record, the sour cream coffee cake has been served in city school cafeterias since 1959."
11 comments:
I remember that coffee cake from many, many years ago. I still have the faded clipping from the LA Times with the recipe!
The flowers are so pretty, and your kids look like they had a great time with the pumpkins.
I have not braved carving pumpkins with the boys yet. I always hated the mess it creates. I know...I should let it go and just clean it up...
We are about to get more snow the next 2 days. I saw where it was snowing up there in Idaho. Are you getting any of that?
MMM, yum! I loooove coffee cake! I really want to make one soon!! Yours looks fantastic!
As always...YUM. The cake looks wonderful.. I am going to whip that up for breakfast this weekend...
Love seeing all the goodies you make.
That coffee cake looks wonderful. I love the pumpkin carving. I haven't carved a pumpkin in years. They look great.
This sounds like the perfect breakfast coffee cake. Glad you rediscovered the recipe!
Coffeecake are one of my favourites to make because of the sugary topping! Yours looks really yummy.
Just printing the recipe now..will let you know how it goes. :)
I haven't made a jack o'latern in years! Looks fun. The coffee cake looks delicious.
Great photos. De-lish looking coffee cake!
Such lovely photos of your family!
The coffee cake looks fantastic!
Post a Comment