Thank you Julie of http://someonekitchen.blogspot.com/ for this weeks TWD recipe selection. Be sure to check out her blog for this wonderful Apple Turnover recipe. It also can be found on pages 316 and 317 in Dorie's cookbook From my Home to Yours. Can I just add how much I LOVE this cookbook! I sat down with it last night and turned through several pages of mouth watering recipes and pictures. I've done this several times and it still brings me joy!
Here are an assortment of photos I took while baking....





I had so many scrap pieces of dough left I decided to bake one big pie or (I guess it's one big turnover ) I sprinkled some cinnamon chips and dots of butter before covering it up with the top turnover crust layer.
This turned out wonderful. The cinnamon chips really made the flavor extra good. I would definitely use the cinnamon chips in the smaller turnovers next time.
When I bit into one of these here is the song that started running through my mind...
Truly Scrumptious from the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...
Toot sweets sound like what they are
So do lollys in a lollypop jar
Gingerbread men have a gingerbread sound, we've found Sugar plum cinnamon and lemon tart tell you what they are right from the start
And your name does the same for you
By coincidence, Truly Scrumptious
You're truly truly scrumptious
Scrumptious as a cherry peach parfait
When your near us
It's so delicious Honest Truly, you're the answer to our wishes
Truly Scrumptious
Though we may seem presumptuous
Never, never, ever go away
Our hearts beat so unrulyBecause we love you trulyHonest Truly, we doTruly scrumptious
You two are truly scrumptious
Scrumptious as the breeze across the bay
When you're smilingIt's so delicious
So beguiling
You're the answer to my wishes
Truly scrumptious
You two are truly scrumptious
And I shan't forget this lovely day
My heart beats so unruly
I also love you truly
Honest truly, I do
Next week TWD ,September 22- Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes decided on Cottage Cheese Pufflets, on pages 148 and 149.
39 comments:
Michelle, these look so good! I am making mine this evening, we are having a super busy day with ballet and hockey and I was just not ready for it :) I'm so happy to hear your good review, and I have some cinnamon chips that I will toss in as well, thanks for that suggestion!
Love the idea of cinnamon chips! Glad you enjoyed.
Love the photos...those look just like what went around here...except for those cinnamon chips that you all tease me with every now and again as I can never find them! I am sure those were a great addition. Very nice turnovers, inside and out!
Truly Scrumptious is my favorite song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I sing it to myself a lot while I'm in the kitchen.
Your turnovers are look truly scrumptious!
The cinnamon chips are a great idea - what a fun idea to add a fun flavor! Way to go! The pictures are great - looks like they came out very well.......
Good job and thanks for sharing!
Hehehehe for the Chitty song. So glad you enjoyed these. I think I have to go buy some cinnamon chips. Thanks for baking with me!
WOW!!!! Your turnovers, and especially the "giant" turnover, look AMAZING!!! I want that giant turnover with the cinnamon chips now!!! yummmmm!! And I love all the photos you took of the process. Great job!!
These were fun, weren't they?
And now I totally have that song stuck in my head.......
Those look SOOOOOO yummy! I also love that song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That is one of my favorite movies. When I was little, my mom got me a big formal dress to play dress up in and I would take a portable record player and play that "soundtrack" on a record in my backyard and pretend I was Truly Scrumptious. :)
These look great. The cinnamon chips sound perfect. I made one gigantic turnover too. The perfect way to get rid of the scraps and extra apples.
Popped in from Marie's to say hi! These look lovely!
These look fantabulous!
I almost wish I had made larger turnovers.
Good, fun photos..I still have two little mini-pies to make that I made from all my scraps...will bake them off tonight.
They all look fantastic. I have dough leftover too so maybe there is a big turnover in my future as well.
Your turnovers look awesome!!!! I love those cinnamon chips...haven't been able to find them in a long time though!
Ooh, the cinnamon chips sound awesome with the apple turnovers! Yours look great!
Too cute! this looks really delicious!
Oh how yummy these look! They are so so perfect. I'm jealous. Wish you could pass one right through the puter to me. I'm kind of hungry for a snack. :)
Beautiful little Apple Turnovers! I wish mine had turned out so well shaped. Yes, aren't they delicious! Fabulous recipe.
Cinnamon chips? Yum! Your turnovers look beautiful.
'Scrumptious'. You summed these up perfectly with that word. :) I love your pie too! Great way to use up all the scaps.
Definitely scrumptious! Great idea with the cinnamon chips - that sounds wonderful!
Oooo, cinnamon chips! What a fabulous idea. Your turnovers look great, especially the big one! :)
oh, michelle, these are wonderful! i love the cinnamon chips addition—so tasty.
These look so good! I didn't do the TWD bake this week. Between SMS and MS Cupcake, I was baked out. Your turnovers look so flakey!!
These WERE truly scrumptious! And yours look amazing! I am so with you - just flipping through Dorie's cookbook still brings me joy. It is a masterpiece, and I am so enjoying baking through it with my TWD buds! So glad you loved the turnovers!
we cant get cinnamon chips in NZ, but a lovely friend has just bought me a bag over from her holiday in teh States - this looks like a great use for them!
Love your turnovers!!
mmmmmm... your turnovers look tasty!! i can't wait to bake mine tonight. i'm a bit behind for this weeks TWD but it will get done! i'm determined!!
OMG, your flaky apple turnovers look perfect! I love the scalloped edges! When I tried it, the edges got mashed up. Perfect song to match with your turnovers! I wish I could find cinnamon chips, I never see them in the grocery store and I would love to bake with them! =)
Great mini and giant turnovers ! I read the post about the CC and I feel so sad not having any chips at all around here !!!
they look perfect! and the giant turnover--oh boy! a good way to use up scrap.
Ooooh, the edges of yours look so pretty! They look perfectly done!
Also, now I really want cinnamon chips. MMMMMMMMM.
I LOVE that you put cinnamon chips in the filling! SO cute!
Cinnamon chips in the turnovers. GREAT idea. Bet they did add some flavor. They look delicious.
Yum! I love cinnamon chips, I can imagine them being grrrreat in this recipe.
Your turnovers look great. I'm glad they were a hit. I need to get some cinnamon chips.
What delicious-looking little turnovers - and you really brought me back with the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song! Must go rent that for my daughter.
Post a Comment