Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pecan Pie and my new rolling pin

I usually only make Pecan pie for special times like Thanksgiving and Christmas . But today is a special day to me! #1 My husband is coming home after a business trip(only 2 nights away) but it seriously felt like 50. Why does the kid drama start when daddy is away. They must have a built in radar...let's give mom some extra stress in her life, she really needs it! WEll it wasn't that bad but any excuse to bake a pie is good enough for me!
Reason # 2 I got a really cool Paula Deen rolling pin. This baby is really cool and I had to test it out on my pie dough today. It really does make rolling simple. My dough just seemed extra smooth. I love my new rolling pin!
I found this flour while shopping and thought I would give it a try. It was 3.99 for the bag, so not to bad of a price. The flour was really silky and smooth, kind of like cake flour but a even nicer !
The recipe for the pie is the good ole Classic Karo Pecan pie recipe...
Karo is the secret to helping you create the perfect pecan pie. It adds a smooth texture and rich flavor - ensuring that this holiday favorite will have your friends and family begging for more.
Classic Pecan Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 55 to 60 minutes Chill Time: 2 hours Yield: 8 servings
1 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup 3 eggs 1 cup sugar 2 tablespoons butter, melted 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans 1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen** deep-dish pie crust Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie crust.
Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes (see tips for doneness, below). Cool for 2 hours on wire rack before serving.
**To use prepared frozen pie crust: Place cookie sheet in oven and preheat oven as directed. Pour filling into frozen crust and bake on preheated cookie sheet.
RECIPE TIPS: Pie is done when center reaches 200°F. Tap center surface of pie lightly - it should spring back when done. For easy clean up, spray pie pan with cooking spray before placing pie crust in pan. If pie crust is overbrowning, cover edges with foil.
NUTRITION TIP: To reduce calories, substitute new Karo® Lite Syrup for the Karo® Light or Dark Corn Syrup.
High Altitude Adjustments: Reduce sugar to 2/3 cup and increase butter to 3 tablespoons. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

9 comments:

Lele said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh pecan pie is my faaaaaaaaaavorite. There is nothing more magical than nutty crunchy gooey pecan pie filling.
And I think a return from a business trip is a totally legitimate excuse to make pie! There should be more pie occasions, I think.

melissadc76 said...

Oh, you are such a nice wife, I bet your husband just loved it!

Anonymous said...

Good grief I love pecan pie!! Great recipe. I know what you mean about husbands being away and the drama all starting as soon as he leaves! My hubby is gone 26 days a month!
I'll be making this recipe for sure! :-)

Heather S-G said...

How fitting is it to make a Pecan Pie w/ a Paula Deen rolling pin!! Nice :) It looks absolutely delicious, I adore pecan pie! :D

Jacque said...

Oh, fun! New kitchen toys! I think that's a perfect excuse to bake up a pecan pie.

It does look delish!

Kayte said...

Pecan Pie is one of Mark's favorites. Yours looks particularly good. I LOVE that rolling pin. I want one. On the Christmas list goes that for sure. I have to stay away from this blog...I want everything on it.

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

oooh I love your new rolling pin! mine has horrible handles that cut into the dough (and my hands for that matter). your pecan pie looks fab too

Eliana said...

I loooove using new kitchen gadgets!

"E" Street said...

I love pecan pie - especially with a big helping of whip cream...... that is the best part of any meal! Speaking as a dad who travels, I am thinking it may just be "turn about is fair play".... do you have any idea what it's like when Mom is away?!?!?!?!?!?!? LOL

Impressive new roller - I was excited to get a new one last weekend too. Mine, however, is a 1.5" diameter piece of PVC pipe. It's not pretty, but it is serious..... LOL

Thanks for sharing.....