Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Praline-Apple Bread

Fall is my favorite time of year. I can't tell you how special the memories are from my childhood days of the Fall season. We had two amazingly large maple trees in our front yard. We seemed to be the neighborhood house for the best leave piles. At times we would have up to 15 kids in our front yard jumping in these enormous piles of orange and yellow pillows! Not only did we jump and have a blast outside the inside of my home was filled with my mothers love of baked goods! I have been blessed to be a part of a great line of bakers and like to share with my family too.So it's still warm outside, but it won't be long and those brisk cool days will be here! I have been wanting to bake more and more lately. I found this recipe in my Southern living magazine and have been drooling over it for days! Today was the day..I could not wait another minute to make this. It turned out better then I imagined. So perfectly delicious. The pecans and he apples blend well together, the topping is incredible. Ahhh I'm in heaven!
Praline-Apple Bread Makes 1 loaf Prep: 20 min. Bake:1 hr. Cool: 1 hr 10 min. Cook: 5 min. 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided 1 (8oz.) container sour cream 1 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs 1 tbsp. vanilla extract 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 1 1/2 cups finely chopped, peeled Granny Smith apples(about 3/4 pound) 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 1. Preheat oven to 350*. Bake 1/2 cup pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 min. or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 4 min. 2. Beat sour cream and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until blended. 3. Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to sour cream mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9-x5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup chopped pecans; lightly press pecans into batter. 4. Bake at 350* for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. 5. Bring butter and brown sugar to boil in a 1-qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, and spoon over top of bread; let cool completely(about 1 hour) Note: To freeze, cool bread completely; wrap in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature. Recipe: Adapted from Southern Living

6 comments:

Kayte said...

Now I will be drooling over it for days if I don't make it. Let's see, a trip to the orchard sounds like it might be in order...yep, I can do this! I don't think I should read any further over here as the pictures are so good and the food choices excellent...this and the scones, do I dare scroll down further? Do I?????

Melissa said...

Oh, man-I just want to dive into that!

Pamela said...

Oh. My. Gosh!! That looks incredible. We are going apple picking on Tuesday with Vincent's class. Guess what I'm doing with some apples?? Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to give this one a try.

Eliana said...

This bread looks amazing!!!! I'm drolling over the photo at my desk right now.

Katrina said...

That really does look and sound divine!

Michele said...

Wow! this bread just looks so amazing and delicious!