Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

TWD Chipster- Topped Brownies

Beth of Supplicious decided on Chipster-Topped Brownies on pages 94 and 95. Please check out Beth's blog.....http://lloydsdinnerandamovie.blogspot.com/ for the recipe to these brownies. Before they went into the oven.....
I made these brownies for a memorial day get together with my parents. The outcome was OK. Most of my family liked them but I thought they were very sweet. My dad thought they were all right. I have to remember not to use bittersweet chocolate when a recipe calls for it.I always forget and than remember I don't care for it much.
The cookie dough was about 2 inches from the brownie mixture. When I cut the brownies the cookie part cracked and clasped. They still looked all right just a little messy!
I know this picture is blurry, but can you see the space between the brownie and the cookie?
Right out of the oven before I cut them....See how they cracked....I would like to make these again using only semi-sweet chocolate and trying something different with the topping. I love the whole idea of a cookie on top of a brownie but I have to say I was disappointed in the cookie topping. It was more like a crusty brownie topping. I had something else in mind.

23 comments:

Pamela said...

Only a few of mine had space between the cookie and brownie layer. I was surprised by how crispy the topping was. I did like them, a little too much. Glad I could share these. Nice job.

Lady Baker said...

I had that space as well--and the nice golden top revealed --for my middle pieces--an undone cookie dough.
I liked them, did not LOVE them as I hoped I would...I kept thinking that I wanted to scrape off the top and just have a brownie :)

Teanna DiMicco said...

These didn't bowl me over, by any means! I'm sorry they didn't work out! They still look delicious!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

hm that is strange that they had the big space in there. We liked them over at our house but I can understand why some wouldn't.

Megan said...

What a bummer! I loved these!

My husband doesn't like bittersweet chocolate either, so I have to remember to use semi sweet instead.

Michele said...

I was thinking the same thing, using a different type of cookie dough on top. Maybe peanut butter? Your brownies look great though.

dharmagirl said...

I'm sorry you were disappointed:( that's always a bummer when the recipe doesn't turn out as expected. mine have a really thick cookie layer--don't know how i managed that...but they're tasty:) i bet playing around with the type of chocolate would help!

chocolatechic said...

Mine had that space when I cut them.

Then I had to put them back into the over to finish baking them off...

Then they were still gooey.

Anonymous said...

Too bad they didn't work out for you.

Anonymous said...

I think your brownies look yummy! Mine kind of crumbled too when i cut them.

Madam Chow said...

Mine didn't crack, but my layers blended together.

Banjo said...

I had the same issue! Mine were way undercooked... Hmph!

Engineer Baker said...

Oh no! It's like a mean little cave under your cookies! Wonder why that happened? Sorry they didn't turn out so well.

Jules Someone said...

Oh no! Sorry these didn't work out well. I've read that people had better luck cutting these the next day. Not that that helps now...

Leslie said...

Mine were deceptive, too. Thought they were fully baked, tested done, but nope. Oozy layer under the cookie.

margot said...

These were hard to execute, I would have liked a more even consistency in the two parts. Sorry they weren't a hit.

Kayte said...

The cracking reminds me of peanut brittle which I love! Your brownie/cookie/chipster looks really good...the guys would have eaten it all in one sitting, I am sure...great job. The cracking just makes it more appealing in my mind...mysterious and fun!
Kayte
www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

TeaLady said...

Mine did the same thing, but they were still really tsty.

But yours look great.

cakeflower said...

Exactly what mine looked like.

Cathy said...

These weren't my favorite either. I loved them in theory, but the reality was a little disappointing. Oh well, they can't all be our favorites, right?

Unknown said...

These were a bit of a disappointment for me too. My cookie dough sank into the brownie batter so I didn't have distinct layers. I think yours look great despite the cracking. Good job!

Elyse said...

I bet these would be better with just your regular ole chocolate chip cookie dough on top (with semisweet chocolate, of course!). Despite the crumbly top, I think they look absolutely fabulous. Man oh man, the more I look at the pictures, the more I'm craving brownies!

Jaime said...

yep - i never use bittersweet chocolate, just not a big fan. maybe you'd like them better w/o it?