Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD Little Devil cake

So messy!
I thought the layers were all right in size.
My cake looks super rustic!Thank you Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater for choosing Devils Food White Out Cake on page 247-249.
I was NOT going to make this CaKe but I came around on Sunday and decided to go for it! I read all the scary comments on how the cake would not rise, the frosting was a pain etc... My cake is short, it looked like it was okay in size when it came out of the oven, but when I cut the layers in half it was short. I loved crumbling the cake up and scattering it all over the place.
My daughter Monique 16th birthday is today! This is a special GOLDEN birthday! She celebrated Friday night and I made her a Watergate cake. She is not to crazy about chocolate, but will eat it. SO I decided this is her second birthday cake. We have yet to slice into it, but after we do I will take a picture of the inside and report back to you on the most important part..the TASTE!
Pretty Flowers my MAN gave me for Valentines day! OK..... so I did not get a good picture of the inside of the cake but my family thought it tasted good. Im so tired of sweets I only had a small slice. It's good but I won't make it again.

35 comments:

Shelby said...

Great job and happy birthday to your daughter!

Amanda said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! Glad you enjoyed the cake and decided to make it after all :)

Lady Baker said...

happy golden birthday to your daughter! The cake is definitely worth it--I'm sure with one taste you were glad you whipped it up on Sunday! :)

Amanda said...

I agree that this was a messy cake!! Your cake looks good though!!

Pamela said...

Hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday! Nice job on the cake!

Maria said...

Happy B-day to your daughter. What a great cake to celebrate with!

chocolatechic said...

Happy Birthday to your girl.

I think your cake looks wonderful.

AmyRuth said...

Your flowers from your sweet man are beautiful. What? you have a 16 year old. Wow. Scary how fast it goes. Eeek. I would happily share my berries with you too. :-) They are good. Glad you were brave and made the cake, even if it was at the last minute. Great job. Now you know. Right?
AmyRuth

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Happy Birthday cute girl! I love your cake even if it is short! :)

Cathy said...

Happy sweet 16 to your baby girl! I hope that she enjoyed both of her cakes! So glad you decided to make this -- it looks great!

Sabrina said...

I love the rustic look... It looks yummy with big chunks of crumbles.
I can't believe you have a 16 year old daughter! Happy Birthday to her!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! Glad you got around to making the cake! It looks great!

farah said...

I have crumbs all over my dining table! I hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday. Good job on your cake :)

Jamie said...

Beautiful flowers...you cake looks great...it was super messy though!

Leslie said...

Great job on the cake! Happy birthday to your daughter...bet she loved those beautiful flowers!

Stephanie said...

awww, happy birthday to your daughter! Glad you liked the cake - it was pretty good. Love the flowers too :)

Unknown said...

yup,great rustic looking cake and pretty flowers. i got some too and can't stop looking at them!! :)

bren-
http://www.flanboyanteats.com

Unknown said...

and of course feliz cumpleanos!! enjoy like rock star!

NKP said...

A very happy 16th!
Messy cake is fun cake.

Shandy said...

Michelle, Wow. . .have you been busy and your blog layout has changed. Very nice. Happy b-day to Monique (did I spell this right?) College is almost done for EVER and I am more worried that I am letting friends slip away during my last months. Tell me if you are planning your flowers and how the baking is going? My last classes are required electives and the first of the 4 will be nutrition. Should probably hide the blog =D

The Unrepentant Carbivore said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! I agree, this cake was messy to make; it looked like a Devil's Food Cake Explosion in my kitchen before it was all said and done.

Kayte said...

The cake looks spunky and cute and fun and you did a great job with it! The flowers are absolutely gorgeous...so fun to see them, thanks for posting them! Very pretty...the flowers and the cake!

Danielle said...

Your cake lloked great! I am glad you liked it.

dharmagirl said...

what a lovely cake! my layers did the same thing--looked good out of the oven, and were then really skinny when I cut them in half.

happy golden bday to your daughter--what an exciting time!

Peggy said...

Happy birthday sweet 16er. And the flowers are gorgeous! I'm so glad we made this cake just because I was so curious. It is a beautiful cake I think!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cake is looking good. Sorry you're sweeted out!! Love seeing your valentine flowers, and happy b-day to your (little!) girl.
Nancy

Erin said...

What a great cake to celebrate!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

This cake looks delicious! I'm sure is was quite tasty. I loved it because it is SUPPOSED to look like that! Hope your daughter had a terrific birthday. My Only doesn't care for chocolate that much either, but she'll eat it as well.

As far as the kitchen sink spray bottle, I really don't measure how much bleach I put in it. Depends on the bottle. Maybe a inch or two of bleach and the rest with water. I play around with the amount - mostly eye-ball it. That's how I do most of my cooking much to my Honey's dismay!

Ivette said...

Your cake looks really good.. I really enjoyed this one!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday wishes to your daughter. Your little cake looks gorgeous. YUM!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

I love your rustic cake, it looks wonderful with those big chocolatey crumbles! Happy birthday to your little girl :)

TeaLady said...

Rustic is a good word for it with the crumbs on top. IT was pretty good. Sweet 16, sometimes I wish my daughter was there again. Then she would be home. Ah, well. Cake looks great.

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!!! Glad you made the cake! It looks great.

Lillian said...

To make the cake taller, just add more icing. Works like a charm! (I always increase the icing recipe by 50%, because you can never have too much!

Engineer Baker said...

Rustic is a wonderful thing with cakes like this - perfect for digging into! Happy birthday to your daughter (a little late)!