Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TWD Lenox Almond Biscotti

Wow it snowed today...Oct. 11 ! Our girls won their soccer game and are now playing in the State Tournament. Watching and playing soccer in the snow. Idaho is great!
On to the cookies!! Biscotti with almonds and cherries.
Thank you Gretchen of Canela & Comino for choosing this weeks recipe of Lenox Almond Biscotti. Please be sure to check her post for the recipe. It can also be found on page 141-143 in From my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan.
My sweet mother called right when I was getting ready to start this recipe..guess what I did ..I started making page 140 recipe of Chocolate Spice Quickies! I cannot talk on the phone and bake at the same time, I get way to distracted! I'm glad they were simple to make. I continued on with them and then got started on the Biscotti.
This is the chocolate cookies...HA! Ready to bake.
I have only made biscotti one other time and it turned out fine. Biscotti is not one of my favorites but I was excited to try this recipe, especially with the almond extract and almonds. I'm glad I read over all the comments before beginning. I followed the recipe exactly and everything seemed fine until they came out after the first baking cycle. My goodness did they spread! I still went on and followed the rest of the directions and came out with some flat looking biscottis. I added some dry cherries to half of the mixture. I liked the taste of the almond and cherries but that yellow cornmeal has got to go. My family does not like them because of the chewiness of the cornmeal. You can't eat them without getting little granules all stuck in your teeth. I have a whole heap of biscotti now that no one will eat!
FLAT BISCOTTI!
My husband LOVES the Chocolate Spice Quickies, so all is well!!

31 comments:

Sihan said...

heyoh!

what a pity.. wish cornmeal was readily available here. and its sad to hear that nobody wants it! i want some! hehe. and those chocolate cookies look divine!

Amanda said...

Wow - snow in October!! It was around 80 degrees here yesterday.

The cookies and biscotti look great. I guess you need to invite some people over for coffee/tea and get rid of the biscotti that way (LOL).

Shelby said...

I'd rather not have the snow in October! lol I'm sure its not staying around for you yet though!

You beat me to my post this morning. I was coming in to tell you I had left you an award :)

Great job on the cookies & biscotti!

Lori said...

too bad your family doesn't like the biscotti, but they're pretty easy to give away!!

Prudy said...

Snow! Wow! I'd love to come in from the snow for a couple of your cookies.

Audrey said...

I'm laughing because I did that too - at least reading if not baking. I was a little surprised that Dorie had combined cocoa and cornmeal... I'm sorry that you didn't like the biscotti - and I'm jealous of your October snowstorm! (I guess I'm only saying that because I'm not in it.)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

We couldn't be farther from snow down here in Georgia, so your pictures look great. Sorry you didn't like the cornmeal - can you foist them off on co-workers? We thought they were great. Yours look like they puffed nicely.
Nancy

Peggy said...

they look great! I can't believe you are in snow already. It is 80 degrees here in the south today. The chocolate cookies look tasty!

Cathy said...

I think it's hilarious that you accidentally made the chocolate spice quickies first -- that is totally something I would do! Good think they were a quickie! Sorry the biscotti weren't a bigger hit in your house -- I didn't notice the cornmeal, really, but lots of people did. I wonder if you could just omit it altogether? Well, it's great that you had those lovely little chocolate numbers waiting to ease the disappointment of the biscotti!

Maria said...

You got snow too? We did over the weekend and luckily it is all melted. I was not ready for that!
Nice work on the cookies. They look yummy!

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, snow already?! Yikes! I'm glad the chocolate spice quickies were such a hit, even though the biscotti weren't.

Christine said...

Snow!! I am just hoping for some fall weather instead of 75 and humid! Your cookies and biscotti look delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

Look at all that gorgeous snow... I am jealous! I am with you, these were not my favorite biscotti. My hubby liked them at first, but I've noticed they are just sitting there now.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Snow in October? Yikes! Your biscotti look a lot like mine did after the first bake.

Teanna DiMicco said...

SNOWING?!?! I am SO jealous!!! What a great way to enjoy some cookies!!!

Pamela said...

Well, at least you got the cookies out of the deal, and your husband likes those. The cornmeal was almost a deal breaker for me, but I'm glad I tried them. I liked them best dipped in chocolate, of course.

chocolatechic said...

Snow......oh. dear. me.


Your cookies look wonderful, and your biscotti looks good too.

BAKE-EN said...

Oh my, I can't believe that it's snowing already! I'm very scared of what winter will bring to the Boston area this year (can you tell I'm not a fan of the cold :). Great looking cookies!

Anonymous said...

Snow?? I can't believe that! Your cookies look delicious. I had fun learning how to make the biscotti.

Libby said...

haha always a good idea to make two things... i think your cookies look lovely!

Anonymous said...

I may have to try those chocolate spice cookies soon. :P Snow! In october!

Kaitlin said...

I'm almost relieved -- I thought I was the only one that wasn't in love with this recipe. The chocolate cookies look great, though!

Gretchen Noelle said...

You did great on these biscotti! Too bad the cornmeal was such a turn off. How did the cookies turn out?!?

Tammy said...

I must have used a finer cornmeal as I didnt get any grit. the cookies look great!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Oh my goodness, look at that snow! I love snow, so I am a tad bit jealous of your beautiful snowy pictures :) I caught myself reading through the chocolate spice quickies recipe when I was supposed to be reading through the biscotti, nice to know you tried them and liked them! I must feel the same way you do about biscotti, not a huge fan, but I was excited about trying this recipe out. Hmmm, I wonder why yours spread so much? The look delicious with the dry cherries. You can send that heap of biscotti to my one year old, these are his new favorite teething treat!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

You really did have some adventures going in didn't you? :)Bummer that no one liked the biscotti at your house!

Liz said...

Oh, don't taunt me with snow, it's like 90 degrees in LA still. :(

But the cherry-almond biscotti sounds fabulous, I love cherry ANYTHING.

Madam Chow said...

Sorry you didn't like them, but I'm really glad that you blogged about the chocolate spice quickies - I wasn't sure about that recipe, so it's great to see that someone made it and liked it!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Usha said...

Snowing already !! the biscotti and cookies look awesome :)

Jaime said...

hahaha how funny that you started making the wrong thing. i love your idea to add cherries!

Shari said...

Snow, soccer, two treats! Quite the week. Cherries would be great in this biscotti!