Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fresh Pear Bread

I was in the mood today to make a good bread. This is one of my favorites. It's delicious! Ingredients: 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 cup sugar 2 tsp baking powder 3/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1/4 tsp cinnamon 3/4 cup pear nectar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/3 cups finely chopped peeled pears(about 1 1/2 medium) 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs dried currants or dark raisins(optional) 1/4 cup chopped walnuts(optional) Directions: Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large bowl, stir to mix well. Add the nectar, vanilla, and pears, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the currants or raisins and, if desired , the walnuts. Coat an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread mixture evenlyin the pan. Bake at 325* for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and let sit for 15 min. Invert the loaf onto a wire rack, turn right side up and cool to room temperature. Wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and store 8 hours or over night before slicing and serving. Overnight storage will develop the flavors and give the loaf a softer, moister crust. Refrigerate any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours. Nutritional Facts per slice: Calories: 93 Carbs: 22 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Fat: 0.4 g Fiber:2.5 g Protein: 2.2 g Sodium:121 mg

7 comments:

Shelby said...

wish I was in the mood today. I have to be by Friday as I have to take food items somewhere on Saturday!

I think Grumpy would like your pear bread! I like the fact it is low in calories. I could send this with him in his lunch box!

susan said...

looks delicious and its low in fat? will definately try someday! :)

Cathy said...

This looks delicious! I've had pears on the brain ever since deciding that I should have used pears instead of plums for the dimply cake. I will definitely try your pear bread -- it looks wonderful, and seems pretty healthy, which is an added bonus!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I love how you are so adventurous with your cooking and baking. You always seem to put that desire in my brain to bake and cook. I've not heard of pear bread before, but looks delicious! I made pretzels last night for a bunch of kids at our house - they didn't last long! Thanks for the inspiration!

Maria said...

Your bread looks fantastic..and healthy! I love pears but have never tried them in bread!

Shandy said...

Michelle, your pear bread looks delicious as always! Great choice for the Fall season. I am hoping all is going well? Hugs and have a great Friday!

La Bella Cooks said...

What a great idea to use pears in a bread. I've never come across a recipe for this before. I could use a slice with my tea this morning!