Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dimply Plum Cake

Thank you Michelle of Bake-en for choosing this weeks recipe. Please see Michelle's Dimply Plum Cake! You can view the entire recipe found on page 41. Plum History Plums (Prunus domestica) date back in writing to 479 B.C. They were prominent in the writings and songs of Confucius which include a listing of popular foods of Chinese culture. In 65 B.C., Pompey the Great introduced the plum to the orchards of Rome, and Alexander the Great eventually brought them to the Mediterranean regions. Early American colonists found wild plums growing along the east coast, but today the common European plum has replaced the native wild plum in popularity and as a commercial crop. Plums are now the second most cultivated fruit in the world, second only to apples. You have had your history lesson for the day!! Sweet Plums from the store......... Ready to bake..... Plums, plums ,plums everywhere I look I see plums. That is exactly what I thought as a child from age 7 to 16. My parents had every kind of fruit tree you can think of. The one that really sticks out in my mind is the plum tree. My brothers and I spent many hours picking up those darn plums from the ground. We usually did not get away from this chore without having a flat out wild plum fight. I think I was nailed with more plums than my brothers actually picked up and put in the baskets! Oh did we have fun!! I think my mom made every kind of plum recipe she could think of. We had Plum fruit leather, Plum pie, Plum cake, Plum jam, plum sauce and sugar plums. Not to mentioned those sugar plum fairies we had to see EVERY year in the Nut cracker. My bothers preferred plum wars over plum fairies dancing on stage. I have to say all of these plum visions did not ruin my love of plums. I still think they taste great, however, I had a really hard time purchasing them after my days of just walking outside and picking one from our tree. Oh well times have changed.

Plum Trees.....

Sugar Plum fairies(see above)!!.....

Plum Fruit Leather.....

This recipe was super easy to put together and I loved the way the plums settled down into their home of sweet brown sugar dough. My house was filled with the best aroma ever. I sprinkled a little sugar crystal on top for a sparkle look. Well plums pleased me once again. I loved this little cake. I'm thinking my brothers may enjoy it too. Maybe someday I can make it for them! These roses are from my husband. Im in Love!

25 comments:

Shelby said...

I love the plum info! What a wonderful husband you have!

Engineer Baker said...

If I've had my history lesson, does that mean I don't have to go into work today? :) Beautiful plums, beautiful cake, and beautiful flowers.

Cathy said...

I love starting out the day with a history lesson! I feel like even if nothing else goes right today, at least I know a little bit more about plums than I did yesterday! Your plum wars sound hilarious, and I am impressed that you will still bake with plums after being pelted with them so often as a child! Your cake looks gorgeous, and I am so glad that you enjoyed it!! Pretty roses, too!!

Maria said...

Thanks for the plum history! Your cake looks terrific! Love the roses, glad you are being spoiled!

Marthe said...

I absolutely love your cake!! I wanted to pair mine with some mascarpone with vanilla... But totally forgot about that!

CB said...

Thanks for the plum lesson! Who knew?? Looks like that hubs of yours is a keeper. I love roses. I can almost smell them...
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Christine said...

Love the plum info learned a lot! Your cake looks delicious!

Marie Rayner said...

Love the roses. What a sweet husband! Love all the info you shared about plums as well. I think your cake looks fabulous. I, too, loved this cake!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I love the way you put your post together! :) The roses are beautiful and so is your cake!

La Bella Cooks said...

Gorgeous roses, how sweet is that? I bet they smell delightful. I absolutely love the pic with your cup of tea and a slice of cake. It makes it all the more inviting.

chocolatechic said...

Wonderful plum information.

The cake looks lovely.

Pamela said...

Cute post! Nice flowers from the hubs, too! The cake looks great, and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Laura said...

That's too funny about your brothers zinging those plums around! Your cake looks lovely and so do the flowers - how nice! I'm going to have to remind my husband how long it's been since he gave me flowers ;-)

Peggy said...

What a great DH. And the plum info - thanks! I thought this cake smelled better baking than it actually tasted, but I managed to eat it all!

BAKE-EN said...

Thanks for that informative plum info! Also, thanks for sharing your plum war story. It reminded me of my grandparents plum tree, and how many delicous plums I ate from it.

Tanya said...

What a lovely cake! It looks so delicious. You have a wonderful, very tasty blog!!

Thanks so much for stopping by mine too!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

THANKS for sharing the stories of you and your brothers and the unending plums. It would be sweet if you made the cake for the brothers. And speaking of sweet, how 'bout those flowers?
Nancy

Melissa said...

Your cake looks so yummy! And I love that you put info about plums, what a great idea!

Prudy said...

OH, I love all your plum references. Love that sugar plum fairy. YOur cake looks lovely. Thank goodness your plum fighting days are over.
I noticed you love Arsenic and Old Lace. It's one of my very favorites and I can't wait to watch it in October as a family tradition.

Shandy said...

Michelle, I loved your plum info and I love your cake. The roses are a beautiful touch from hubby!

I finally posted mine tonight and did not have the success as the rest of the group did. . .but that is okay. I know what went wrong, I think.

The award is so sweet of you! It is just like you to care about those around you. I think that is one of the many great attributes about you that make you so special! Hugs from your friend Shandy

P.S. Can you be one of the people I give the award too? Everything you do shows that you go above and beyond.

dharmagirl said...

i love how you share stories from childhood, plum history, and baking details. your cake looks delicious--i wish i would've had some whipped cream for mine:)

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Thanks for the history lesson! The cake looks amazing, and now I can actually say that I learned something today!

Sihan said...

roses from the hubby.. that;s awfully sweet. I finally posted on mine.. the plum cake was oh so good!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I just had to say that I get so hungry every time I visit here. It's a good thing that I don't gain weight each time I see or read about something yummy!

I'm actually wondering about the dainty china in the background. Is that Noritake China? It looks so much like the Noritake Glenwood China I inherited from my grandma. It brought a sense of comfort to me when I saw it.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/N/noritake_glenwood_dinner_plate_P0000066535S0002T2.jpg

TeaLady said...

Dimply sugar plum fairies. Love it. Cake looks great. Roses!! Wowie!!