Thank you to Michelle in Colorado Springs for this weeks recipe pick. Summer Fruit Galette on pg. 366
This recipe really got me excited! I have never made a Galette before so I was thrilled to try this one . My friend has been telling me about this excellent pie crust recipe. I made it for this Galette instead of Dories. I was very pleased with the taste and the texture of this crust. It's called Mama Easy Pie Crust. Here is the recipe if any one is interested. Thanks to Jett!
1 1/3 cups Crisco
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/3 cups plain all-purpose flour
Paste:
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup additional flour
3 cups capacity jar with tight fitting lid
flour for rolling out crust.
Directions:
Place the 1 1/3 cup Crisco in large bowl
Add 1 1/2 tsp salt and whip together
Sift the 3 1/2 cups flour into the bowl with Crisco
With a fork or pastry blender break up flour and Crisco so that it resembles even looking lumps
Now put 1/2 cup cold milk and 2/3 cups sifted flour in the jar with the tight fitting lid
Shake it good so it looks like a smooth past.
Mix the past mixture with the flour mixture.
Work gently so crust will be tender. When dough is smooth, divide and roll out for the pie
This summer my parents brought back some great homemade jam my uncle canned. I was given apricot, grape, cherry and blackberry! I used the Apricot for this recipe.
The crust above made two pie crusts so I made two Galettes each with different fruit. One has Peaches, blueberries and strawberries. The other has pears, peaches and strawberries. I love the second fruit combination the best.

The Galette turned out better than I thought. The fruit mixture with the sweet creamy custard was absolutely delicious. my entire family loved it and came back for seconds. I think I may have some for breakfast with my coffee! I will definitely be making this again .
22 comments:
Homemade jam with a flurry of assorted fruits! sounds like a winner to me! Bake on!
Delicious looking galette! I love that you used homemade jam! How wonderful!
Mmmmm! Both of those galettes look stunning, but the one with the strawberries is making me hungry! Nice job.
Wow - I had thought about using pears and now I wish I had!!
Have a delicious day :)
Your galettes look wonderful! I love the addition of pears, yum. That pie crust sounds neat, I might have to try it. Thanks for sharing :)
great fruit choices! They look delicious and the homemade jam looks tasty too!
mmmm pears, peaches, and strawberries are three of my favorite fruits! And I love the homemade jams! Gorgeous!
Your galette looks beautiful, but your jam is what really caught my eye. Yum-what a great variety.
Hot diggity dog, it looks awesome! If I'd have known how quickly a galette came together, I'd have made two as well.
Oooh, pears! I'll bet that was good. Pears seem so underrated.
Nice job!
Delicious looking! Why can't I live near you now when you are baking so often? No fair!!!
Wow, your galettes look delicious! mmm, home made jam! There's nothing like it. The pie crust sounds great :)
Looks so yummy! I'm going to need to try to make this one. It's so hot now that I don't bake much, but, may have to do this one very soon! Thanks for posting it! I love to can my spaghetti and pizza sauce, but haven't canned fruits and veggies. Used to do that as a child with my mom. Have a super day!
wow i cant imagine how amazing that homemade jam must have been. lovely galette;)
Having the galette for breakfast with a cup of coffee sounds so good! Great job!
I wish I had made two. My first one is all gone and all I have left is the memories.....oh, and the dirty dishes. ha!
Michelle, your Galettes look perfect and so Yummy! The homemade jam is inviting too. What a beautiful post and TWD baking event =D
Love your fruit combinations! The pie crust recipe sounds interesting. I haven't ever tried the technique with the milk/flour paste. Did you like it?
Hmmm... change the crisco to lard and you have my grandmother's go-to pie crust recipe. I've never been able to make it work: I'm glad you did!
Homemade jam and all that beautiful fruit, yum! Nice job!
That looks lovely! Homemade jam. Mmmmm.
I don't ever use crisco, but I have a pie crust recipe for whole wheat and butter that I LOVE,
would that (or other decent pie crust recipes) work in place of this crust? Or is this different than a typical pie crust??
This looks SOOOOO yummy.
Post a Comment