Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Homemade Chili Colorado Enchiladas

Who doesn't like a good dish of Mexican food!? All though I love to go out and be waited on at a restaurant, severed bottomless baskets of tortilla chips and eat until I am stuffed to the gills, I do love to cook up a wonderful tasty dish at home! I found this recipe on Pinterest and was so excited to try it!   I adore my crockpot, especially this time of year with the leaves changing colors and the cool crispness in the air. Don't you love coming home to the smell of dinner cooking? Yes, My crockpot is my bff!
So this recipe is magical in that your meat is simmering all day in your delicious homemade enchilada sauce. When you are ready to eat you simply add meat and cheese to a tortilla, roll up add extra sauce and cheese on top and broil in oven for 2 to 3 minutes! Simple, tasty and sure to please your entire family! Yield: About 1 1/4 cups (depends on how much you reduce down your sauce) 
Chili Colorado
Ingredients:
4lbs. chuck roast
1 1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. pepper
2 teas. onion powder
1 teas. garlic powder
1 tbsp. oil
Cheddar cheese
Monterey cheese
Directions:
Put roast in crockpot and smother with Red Enchilada sauce(see recipe below)
Simmer on low for 8 hours.
With slotted spoon remove meat and place about a 1/4 of cup of meat on a soft flour tortilla add cheddar cheese and roll tortilla.
With remaining enchilada sauce pour over tortillas and add extra cheese on top. I use Monterey and cheddar cheese.
Place tortillas in a 9 x 12 baking dish and place under broiler in oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve with sour cream and salsa.

 Red Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
4 Tbsp. chili powder ~can be reduced for less heat
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

Directions:

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute. Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.
Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Michelle, I have been looking for a good crock pot recipe, and this is IT! Thank you for posting this - your picture looks amazing...I can't wait to try it!
Sally (Krumkake)