Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Baking with Julia Irish Soda Bread


 Thanks to our hostess this week for Baking with Julia .......Cathy of My Culinary Mission  made a gorgeous version with Gruyere cheese.  Carla of Chocolate Moosey went a little more old school.  Be sure to check out there blogs!

I love Irish soda bread. I came from a long line of Irish people. The Murphy's and the Mahoney's. I think that qualifies me as Irish! My Aunt Margaret used to make soda bread for us when we would visit . I remember tearing off chunks  of the bread and dipping into hot homemade soup.


This recipe is straight fwd and super easy to put together. I chose to make mine old school with heaping spoon fulls of butter and Plum butter!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful! I loved the recipe too :)

Judy said...

Looks gorgeous.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Wasn't this wonderful? I'll have to make the original version and spread lots of jam on. Looks fabulous!

Mary Hirsch said...

Anyone who has Murphy and Mahoney roots should be able to make fantastic Irish Soda Bread. Yours certainly looks like it passed the grade. It looks delicious. Plum jam - what could be better. Mary Hirsch
http://www.lightsonbrightnobrakes.com/

Anne Brassell a.k.a. Chef Nana said...

Your pictures are beautiful and so is your bread!

baker in disguise said...

I agree!! there was something about having this crusty bread with butter!! plum jam would have been good too...

Cakelaw said...

Loving the slice with plum butter!

Kara said...

I was nervous to try it without mixing anything in, but this looks beautiful!

Peggy said...

Yours is beautiful. I made the original version. But my cuts were too deep and it divided my bread!!

Cristine said...

Yours looks beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

I imagine this would be just *delicious* dipped in soup! Although the plum butter looks great too!

Kathy said...

Your soda bread looks perfect! So delicious! Great recipe!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Your bread looks absolutely perfect! Glad this turned out so well for you! :)

Heather said...

Beautiful! Your pictures have me craving it again :D

Dawn said...

MmmmMMMmm! I'm sad my loaf is gone already! :)

Unknown said...

looks wonderful

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Your bread looks wonderful!!

~Carmen

http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/twd-baking-with-julia-irish-soda-bread

Amy said...

This bread looks delicious. Looks great with the jam! Yum.

Cher Rockwell said...

Looks great. The butter and jam looks good :-)

Catherine from www.praycookblog.com said...

Slathering on butter -- the only way to go! Bake with you again in 2 weeks. Catherine @ www.praycookblog.com

Jodie said...

Looks great! Loved how easy this was!

Misty said...

It looks a lot like mine. I also made a cinnamon sugar version which was my favorite.

TeaLady said...

Love a good rustic bread and yours looks great. Little irish here too. Just a little. Loved this one.

Lisa said...

Very pretty staging! Wish I had some right now.
-Lisa

Julia said...

I need to stop looking at people's posts when I'm hungry! That looks delicious.

Amanda said...

It looks so good and I can't wait to try it with soup. Or that plum butter you have in the photo, yum!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes, with butter and fruit jam, this was delicious!

Erin said...

Dipped in soup...yummy! Looks great with the butter and jam!

Erin said...

Dipped in soup...yummy! Looks great with the butter and jam!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! They make me want to make another batch to have with that jam.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! They make me want to make another batch to have with that jam!

Kayte said...

Thanks for the lovely comment about my bread baking...and I can see here that you do just as well...this looks flawless and perfect to me! For some reason I was not in an Irish Soda Bread mood this year...first year in forever, so I didn't make this one. It's harder now that the boys are out of the house at college, etc., and not eating here daily...harder to get rid of food, so I am not making as much...only what I really really want to make. Mark and I just cannot keep up! lol Hope all is well there with you and yours!