Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

{TWD} Not-just-for Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread Cake

Jessica of Singleton in the Kitchen chose Not-Just-for Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread cake on pages 208-209.
Jessica is one amazing cook. Her blog is one of my favorites. I love her pictures and her stories about life and baking! She has a sweet husband named Dudley( I love that name) who she cooks and bakes for a lot! Be sure to check out her blog for the recipe.

I'm not a big cranberry lover. I like the cranberry out of the can on Thanksgiving with my turkey. I SO wanted to like this cranberry filling. I followed the recipe exactly with the freshly squeezed OJ and all. I loved the way the cranberries crackled and pop while heating up.






Dorie was so right about the dough being easy to work with. It rolled out nicely and didn't fall apart when I picked it up.





We all had a slice. Everyone loved the shortbread crust! It tasted like one big  sugar cookie. But the cranberry filling...well darn it anyways it was just  way to tart. So sorry to report that my family didn't like the filling, but we LOVED the shortbread crust.
 See the cracks..well I forgot to run a knife around the edges of the pan before releasing it..what a nerd!

I will definitely make the crust again but with a different filling. I am going to try the caramel apple filling Dorie suggested!

21 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your filling looks gorgeous, even if it tasted a little tart - and the crust looks fab too. You have a lovely rolling pin - mine has handles on the end and is very plain compared with your mahogany beauty.

Eliana said...

This looks excellent Michelle! And that crust looks divine too. Can't wait to see what other fillings you try with it.

Jessica said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry this was a bust for you, Michelle. Your cranberry filling looks just gorgeous, it's too bad you all didn't enjoy the taste! My sister and her boyfriend felt the same way about the filling as your family. If you love the crust maybe you'll try it again with a different filling?
Thank you so much for your kind words. You've been one of my blog buddies from the beginning and I just think you're fabulous! Thank you for baking along with me this week!

Unknown said...

The shortbread was amazing, wasn't it? Sorry you didn't like the filling - I was worried it would be too tart for me, so I added extra sugar to the jam to be safe :) I'm sure it'll be great with the apples though (or really any filling for that matter)!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Doh! You are not a nerd! Even with the cracks your cake looks scrumptious! :)

chocolatechic said...

I made mine with apples.

I am so sorry that your filling was way to tart.

Just scrape it out and eat the crust.

YUM

Mary said...

I didn't think I would like this either, so I used raspberries. Yours looks fantastic, so I think Chocolatechic's advice is good--eat the crust!

Tia said...

I like your rolling pin - dark sophisticated wood. I crumbled the top layer over the filling instead of rolling it. LOVED THIS! Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

Cindy said...

I loved the cranberry jam--but I love cranberries. This would be yummy with applebutter or blueberries. So many options.
Have a very happy day!

Kayte said...

Great photos of it all...I just love seeing people utensils and pans and plates and bowls and things...makes me feel like I was there in the kitchen with them. Your cake looks wonderful! So pretty.

Amber Marie said...

It looks lovely - even with the cracks! That totally sounds like something I would do. Sorry the cranberries weren't a hit. I loved it but still want to try the apple version.

Katrina said...

I did make the caramelized apples for mine. It was good! Bummer that you didn't love yours. But yes, that "cake" part was so good I had to give the cake away. ;)

Katrina said...

I did make the caramelized apples for mine. It was good! Bummer that you didn't love yours. But yes, that "cake" part was so good I had to give the cake away. ;)

Peggy said...

I like that you made your pastry go up the sides of your pan on the bottom pastry. I did not do that. Mine fit perfectly in the cake pan. I was afraid the filling would run out, but it didn't. Love yours. It looks delicious. Wasn't it good?

Peggy said...

Well it was good for us. Sorry you didn't love it.

Jacque said...

Aaaah, sorry. But at least you know it's got promise. I like how versatile it is. It sure looks nice, anyway.

Unknown said...

The crust was delicious - and I hope you try the apple version next time; I think it might outdo the cranberry!

margot said...

Your cake looks great! I like tart things, so I enjoyed it, but I did notice that the jam tastes tarter with the shortbread than it does on its own.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

This looks so delicious, ur rite this is a cake for anytime of the year , if u have cranberries!!
All i have is a tin ,u will love it yeah:-),of Cranberry jelly!!
Am sorry u'll didn like the filling, i think i might and wud enjoy that popn too!

Jaime said...

it turned out great, the filling looks so wonderful (even if it was too tart). i'm going to add more sugar next time to my jam but i definitely want to try the apples too!

Rachel said...

It looks good flourchild! Nice job! Sorry you didn't like the filling. I guess you either love 'em or hate 'em.