I made the flan this week. I totally tweaked it to my liking. I heard many mixed reviews on this recipe, I decided to make it my way!
See the cute little frosted gingerbread cookie? It tasted really good with my Sweet potato, brown sugar, cream cheese and walnut flan. It was sweet and a perfect fall treat!
Here's my version..
Sweet potato
2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp brown sugar
Mix
On top add chopped walnuts, sprinkle of brown sugar
and dollops of cream cheese.
Bake for 25 min. in
350* oven.
I liked my flan warm with my ginger bread cookie crumbled on top!
I really enjoyed this and am glad for the inspiration from Dorie's cookbook. I would never have thought this on my own!!
32 comments:
Sweet potatoes...now there's an idea! I like sweet potatoes much more than pumpkin. These look great...I am making this later today, thinking now I might want to stop for sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin.
I completely love your rendition! I'm going to have to try this one again because I got mixed reviews from the original. Love your gingerbread man cookie addition!
I loved that you changed it up. Flans are fun that way.. Yours looked so good. What a great idea. B
I love the ginger cookies! It makes it seem like much more of a dessert!
Great idea! Love the little gingerbread men!
Wish I would've thought of sweet potatoes. I like those more than pumpkin as well! Very nice ideas!! Thanks for sharing
I wish we were neighbors. Yum
I really like the sweet potato idea! Nice inspiration.
This sounds wonderful. I have been fighting with myself regarding a pumpkin dish being savory. I like your changes. I think I will do some modifications, also.
What a neat idea... they look great! :)
When I make this again...and it is a beautiful dish so I will...I had dreamed about doing exactly as you did...great minds....
I guess I am just a sugar girl...I like savory, but pumpkin just screams for sweetness and sweet potatoes are a prettier color and with your added toppings it just sounds better.
Your way sounds so much better than the gorgonzola.
Very clever. I love it when someone can take a recipe and make it their own. Your version fits with my mental version of what a pumpkin dish should be!
Oh my gosh, your version sounds incredible!! Nice tweaks!
I really, really like your tweak on this recipe. I'm afraid I didn't quite like the gorgonzola flans enough to rave about them. But your way - I would have made a double recipe!
i love how u tweaked it to ur personal taste buds, gorgeously excitn!
I even thought it as the mashed potato in pumpkin:-)
Looks so so good!!
I like the way you changed the recipe to make it something you and your family would like. We were rather fond of it the way it was written. In fact, I'm thinking of making it as a side dish for Thanksgiving (in a casserole dish).
Dorie would have been pleased with your Bonne Idee. :) The gingerbread man cookie is cute!
Oh that looks so good!I'm going to have to try it this way.
Great change up with the sweet potatoes!
Great twist on the recipe. That's one thing I'm loving about FFwD. Everyone has such great ideas about the food. It's inspiring.
Love the gingerbread cookie! Cookies go with everything don't they!
You are teaching me to not always follow the rules 'cause you can end up with such tasty treats! Yum!
I love flan and sweet potatoes. What an incredible combo!!!!
I've only ever had sweet potato fries. These look great. I'll have to give them a try sometime.
Such a good idea! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Last week I was wondering about subbing cream cheese for the gorgonzola, but I always "play by the recipe" the first time...mostly anyway! I know I'd have preferred the cream cheese regardless of the vegetable. I think your change up is a fabulous play off this recipe...one I'd enjoy more than the pumpkin flan! Thanks for sharing!
Oh, you tweaked the recipe and got a dessert!How fun! Yes, gingerbread men and cream cheese would work.
It's a completely different category now:)
Sometimes it pays not to be obedient:)
Cute! I love that you did a sweet dessert version of this dish.
LOVE that you tweaked this recipe to fit your tastes. Isn't that what cooking in all about? Yours looks really tasty with the addition of the sweet potatoes and the crumbled up gingerbread man on top. Brilliant!
I've never made flan before but I love that you use sweet potatoes in it! Yum(:
What a good idea. I can't bring myself to make that pumpkin/gorgonzola flan. I really strongly dislike moldy cheeses.
What a great way to turn it into a dessert!
Post a Comment