Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

TWD Arborio Rice Pudding

Here is my pudding...14 hours later.
Thank you to Isabelle( I love that name) of for picking Les gourmandises d'lsa the Arorio rice pudding. I chose to make it chocolate. Here is the rice I finally found ! This is the first time after boiling it...see how the rice mixture is on the bottom and the liquid is on top.
The second time boiling
I'm so glad I read all the comments before I started making this pudding. I found the rice after going to two grocery stores. I am excited to have this Arborio rice in my pantry. I'm not excited about this recipe. I had more trouble with the stove top cooking time. I finally took it off the burner after 45 min. and stuck it in the fridge. I left it there overnight and you would think it would be nice and firm. Well it was like liquid soup. Bridget from TWD said she was going to put hers back on the stove and boil it again. SO that's exactly what I did and it worked! It thickened up with in 10 min and was a perfect consistency. I put it back in the fridge and chilled it. It's really chocolaty and thick. I don't care for the taste much..its fair....after all that trouble I wanted liquid gold in my mouth! My son does not care for it and I'm waiting to see if the girls and my hubby like it.
Here is an update on what the rest of the family thought of the pudding.
Steven does not like it, he could barely get a spoon full down.
Monique said it's OK.
Kryshawna pretty much ate it all and loved it!

29 comments:

Cristine said...

I didn't care for it, either. Glad someone in your house loved it, though!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Sorry it wasn't a big hit at your house. I guess your little one will get to finish it all! There wasn't a lot left in my pan after 55 minutes, though.
Nancy

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Sorry most of your family didn't end up liking it, at least you had one who did :) The arborio rice is wonderful, I just started buying it and making risottos last summer and I am totally hooked. Your pudding does look delicious all rich and chocolatey even though it wasn't a favorite.

Sabrina said...

I used the same rice!
Anyway, yours looks way more appetizing than my chocolate did. I was not impressed with mine at all.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Cathy said...

Hee -- sorry that you didn't get liquid gold after all that! At least you have risotto rice in your pantry now! Thank you for the reboiling suggestion -- that was just brilliant, and would have saved me my second attempt if I didn't let my rice soup sit so long! Maybe the twofer pie will be a bigger hit!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kryshawna, I loved it! Your chocolate version looks yummy. I think it's the soft consistancy with lumps that throws people off. At least you can fix risotto now!

Peggy said...

Oh I'm so sorry you and your family didn't love it. It took a while to make even though it was pretty easy and then to not love it. Maybe next week's will be better for you! I liked mine. I love your tall glasses.

Maria said...

I love the glasses you used. Sorry it wasn't a hit!

Unknown said...

Hi, Thanks for your nice comment on my page! I liked the rice pudding, but see that mine did not come out thick enough. To me, it looked fine, because that is how traditional Mexican rice pudding looks. Oh,well. It was nice to have something easy to make this week. I can hardly wait to see how next week's treat turns out! Have a good one.

chocolatechic said...

I'm glad you went the chocolate route.

So did I.

Jamie said...

We did not care for it at all! Yours looks like it came out just great! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a lot of people had trouble with this recipe. It did taste good though!

Engineer Baker said...

At least someone liked it, so you won't have to toss it!

Kayte said...

Matt couldn't get the spoonful down either...LOL...and he's a 16 year old kid who swims 5 hours a day six days a week and will eat most ANYTHING NOT NAILED DOWN. LOL. Mark wouldn't even try it. Yours looks great...happy some liked it!

Melissa said...

What a bummer that you didn't care for it after all of that work! The things we work the hardest for should be the most rewarding, right? Maybe next time! I'm glad one of your daughters liked it though.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I don't like rice pudding...........so I understand!

kimberly salem said...

glad it thickened up for you!! i liked the taste of mine, but i went the vanilla route... i didn't think anything could top dorie's other choc pudding;)

dharmagirl said...

liquid gold--what a delightful description of the dream pudding that haunts us all:)

Sihan said...

Hey lovely.. wanna apologise for my absence. Have been busy with school exams. arghs. but i'll be back to baking soon! i promise! hehe.

Glad to see that the pudding worked out with at least one of your family members. Keep baking dearest!

Amanda said...

Let your family know that they get an A+ from me for trying the rice pudding. I don't like rice pudding at all, so I didn't even attempt the recipe for this week.

Amber said...

Nice backyard! I was supposed to move to Idaho many years ago but I just couldn't be that far from the ocean. It is beautiful though. I liked the taste of the pudding but after a few bites the texture was just wrong for pudding. I don't think pudding should be chewy, it should be heaven on the tongue. Liquid gold like you said.

Megan said...

Aww, after all that work, and no one liked it?

Well, mine totally flopped, but I think I'll try again, now that I know how long to cook it for.

The Food Librarian said...

At least one person liked it! Good job putting it back on the stove - I'm glad that worked out!

Linda said...

Glad to hear all of your effort wasn't in vain and that someone in your house liked it!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I wasn't such a fan of this one, but yours looks great! And I'm so glad that you ended up liking it AND you have arborio rice to boot!

Joanna said...

yummy. i love chocolate pudding. i've never tried it in rice pudding though.

some recipes just like to give you a hard time! glad it turned out okay!

Shari said...

My "soup" was delicious though. I love your parfait dishes!

AmyRuth said...

At least you found Arborio rice, so maybe you can discover another way to enjoy it. Sorry it didn't go so well. I made mine after I read all the comments and so mine went together beautifully. Happy Thanksgiving
AmyRuth

Peggy said...

left you an award on my blogsite. . come on over and pick it up when you can!