Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

All American Apple Pie

Thank you Emily of Sandmuffin for this weeks TWD recipe selection! Visit her blog for the recipe...
http://sandmuffin.blogspot.com/ Emily is the wife of a Rock Star(not sure which one):) and teaches middle school. She also has two cute little girls. Visit her blog ..she is a sweet lady!

Apple pie is two words that stir up emotion in me. My grandma was a great apple pie baker, she passed her love of baking(especially pies) down to me. She has been gone for ten years now but her pie recipe is still alive and active! My mother is an excellent pie baker too. I have been blessed to have two wonderful cooks in my life.

 My mom paid me the greatest compliment one day. She told me Your apple pie tastes as good or even better then your Grandmothers. Nice, Huh!




A sweet friend gave me this pie plate with the cute apple lid  for Christmas. I love it and use it every time I bake an apple pie.


Here is a picture before it went into the oven....

 I have a faithful pie crust I have been using for years. I decided to stretch myself and try Dorie's.
So I was brave and branched out by using the pie crust recipe...But..I seriously could not bring myself to do the filling Dorie's way. I love my Grandmas Apple pie. I was  going to try it but when I read No brown sugar..and No cooking the apples..well I was worried it wouldn't be good as Grandmas.
 Here is the Apple filling....
6 cups sliced peeled apples
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
pinch of salt Pastry for double-crust pie
Directions:
In a saucepan, combine apples, water and lemon juice; cook over medium-low heat just until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and cool (do not drain). In a large bowl, combine sugars, flour ,cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; add apples and toss to coat.
Place in pie shell, cover and bake 450* for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350* and bake 35-45 min. longer or until golden brown.



My soft warm apples going into the crust. Nothing smells up your house as nicely as this....

25 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Gorgeous pie and a cute pie dish! I am a crap pie maker, but this turned out OK for me too.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Love the cute pie dish! :)What a compliment from your mom!

Jacque said...

I've cooked the pie filling before as well and really liked it a lot.

Your pie looks fantastic!

Pamela said...

I have never made an apple pie where you pre-cook the apples first. I may just have to give that one a try!
And what a very sweet thing for your mom to say. :)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful pie. Love the pie plate, too! :) It's always wonderful to receive compliments like that - congrats!

Jodie said...

Cute pie plate! Apple pie was my grandmother's favorite dessert, too. What a great compliment from your mom!

Unknown said...

Grandma's recipe always wins! Your pie looks wonderful. And how lucky you are to have two great bakers in your family.

TeaLady said...

Pie looks delicious.

I sliced my apples so thin they cooked well in the pie. My first from scratch. But not my last.

Will try your recipe, too.

Bella Baker said...

your pie looks beautiful! Your grandma would be very proud. Love the pie plate!!

Valerie Gamine said...

What a lovely pie! I bet your cooked-apple version was nice and juicy.

Judy said...

Your pie looks and sounds delicious. I usually precook my apples, too. It makes for a stuffed apple pie, which I love.

Mary said...

Your filling sounds delicious! I would probably eat all the cooked apples before they made it into the crust! My grandmother and mother both made/make great apple pies too--such a nice family memory and tradition.

Linda said...

Expert pie baking is in your genes!

I will have to try cooking the apples before baking the pie... my pie was not a delectable looking as yours...beautiful!

Unknown said...

I've never tried cooking my apples before baking an apple pie - interesting, I'll have to give it a shot sometime! Your pie dish is adorable and your grandmother's apple pie recipe looks wonderful :)

Jencrafted said...

That's one lovely pie you've got there! I think your recipe - with the spices and brown sugar - makes for a delicious apple pie filling. I must try it one day. And cooking the apples will definitely solve the empty space under the dome problem that I had. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Your grandma's filling sounds delicious! Brown sugar is so good. Cute pie dish too!

Katrina said...

Love that pie dish. Love that you stuck with the apple pie you love. I have used cooked apples before, too, and loved it. Next time I make an apple pie (probably T-day), I'm going to try your recipe for the filling!

Hindy said...

Your pie looks delicious! Thank you for sharing your grandmother's filling recipe.

Anonymous said...

Wow that pie looks amazing! I have been wanting to make one, but I have been way to lazy this fall!

Cindy said...

Your recipe looks excellent. I just might try it. Have a great day!

AmyRuth said...

You know how special that pie is and I don't blame you for sticking with your grandma's fabulous apple pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
AmyRuth

margot said...

That is the cutest pie dish ever! There's just something about family recipes, yours sounds wonderful.

Rachel said...

apple pie--what a great family tradition! and that pie lid is adorable!

Kayte said...

Love that you got the great compliments...pie baking is serious business in a lot of families. I know it is in my family! Yours looks great. That pie dish is wonderful.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh so pretty a pie , me too have to bake this sooonn for BWD and am so thrilled to find ur post!