Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2009

SMS Raised Waffles with Warm Brown Sugar Bananas

It's November 22: and time for Sweet Melissa Sunday. Today the recipe is Raised Waffles with Warm Brown Sugar Bananas chosen by Lauren of Fried Pickles and Ice Cream .Be sure to check out her blog for the recipe. http://friedpicklesandicecream.blogspot.com/ One of my favorite gifts we got for our wedding, 21 years ago ,was this waffle iron. I have used it so many times to make waffles. After trying several recipes, through out my life I found a Buttermilk waffle recipe we LOVE! I have to say it's still my favorite recipe. I really dont' care for this recipe.The smell of the yeast really got to me. It reminded me of that friendship bread starter smell. I thought maybe when they are cooking it will get better..well the smell was worse and it made me feel nauseous. I thought the yeast would make them fat and fluffy but it really didn't. I thought maybe the warm brown sugar mixture smothered on top will be good. Well it wasn't, I thought it was super sweet and I did not like it.My son is the waffle lover in the family. I didn't tell him it was a new recipe... I just let him try them. He said they taste different and he didn't like them.:( Oh well I guess you can't love every recipe, right! My husband likes the waffles, he get's them all!!

19 comments:

Shelby said...

Its too bad you didn't like it, but you can say you gave it a chance!

Jessica said...

I didn't make these because I don't have a waffle maker. I'm sorry that they weren't a hit for you, but I give you credit for trying them! They can't all be hits!
I love the shape of your waffles! What a wonderful wedding present.

Every Day Blessings said...

Oh my, I didn't make them because I don't have a waffle iron. My husband would not let me buy one because he doesn't want one more thing to move.:) Anyway, they didn't sound very good so guess I'm glad that I didn't make them. Even though you didn't like them , yours look amazing.

Lauren said...

super cute waffle shape!!!! too bad they didn't measure up to your expectations :(

Susan said...

I don't have a waffle iron, so I had to sit this one out. Funny how the smell of yeast is heaven to some people (myself included) and not so much to others. :}

Unknown said...

Bummer that they were such a disappointment for you guys. At least you tried and now you can go back to your favorite recipe :) The smell of the batter bothered me a bit too but I thought they were delicious once cooked.

Nina said...

HMM well tood bad that you didnt like it! I loved the hearts on the waffles!

Julie said...

I love your waffle iron, how special it was a wedding present.

I thought these were yeasty smelling too but it didn't bother me when I ate them. Loved the topping!

Stephanie said...

Hearts - so cute! Sorry you didn't love these! At least you have a favorite go - to buttermilk waffle recipe!

Mrs. G said...

Oh no, I'm sorry you didn't like them. I love your waffle maker!

margot said...

The waffles look really yummy, sorry you didn't enjoy them. It's great that your waffle iron has lasted so long and that you have found a recipe your family loves, buttermilk waffles sound yummy.

k.a.r.e.n said...

You made them -- that counts! Sorry you didnt like them. I love the heart shaped waffle iron!

Steph said...

I love your waffle maker. Too bad you didn't like these, but at least you do have a recipe that your family loves!

spike. said...

Oh, sorry you didn't like them. The topping was a little much but I had success with the waffles themselves. Better luck next time!

Anonymous said...

i have to get me a waffle maker like that!!! it would be perfect for breakfast in bed on our anniversary!! oh the ideas!!

the yeast was overpowering for me too! and mine didn't even MAKE waffles. it was gooey sludge. i gave up after the first one.

Anonymous said...

I love waffles but I also like buttermilk waffles. I haven't tried the yeasted kind.

Shandy said...

I am sorry you didn't like the waffles. I love all things sour dough so was excited to give these a try. I think each person tastes food a little differently because we loved them. Hope the next recipe is a huge hit for you =)

Hanaâ said...

I love the shape of your waffles. Too bad you didn't like them. I thought they were good, although, the amount of yeast is definitely on the high side. I'm thinking that by adding the eggs to the batter early on, might have made the waffles smell less yeasty. I look forward to trying Mark Bittman's recipe in "How to cook everything". That only has 1/2 tsp of yeast for 2 cups of flour and 2 eggs.

Would love to try your buttermilk waffle recipe. Will you be posting it on your blog? Otherwise, if you have time, feel free to email it to me at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com. Thanks!

Katrina said...

Love your heart shaped waffle maker. I wonder if the yeast recipe would have worked better with a Belgian Wallfe Iron? Anyway, now I want to try your buttermilk recipes. I love waffles!