Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

Asparagus Pecan Quiche

I was not to sure about this recipe. I love pecans and I love asparagus but together...hmmm not sure!
Well let me tell you the combination of the veges, pecans and Swiss cheese is incredible. Not to mention the fluffy egg mixture! This recipe is definitely a keeper.
Before it was cooked..
Asparagus-Pecan Quiche
From the cookbook Country Chicken
1 unbaked pastry shell(9 inches) I use a homemade crust recipe I have with Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup cut fresh or frozen asparagus(2 inch pieces) I used fresh
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Swiss Cheese. I used whole slices and just tore them up.
1 cup cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided
1/4 cup onion
1 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups half and half cream
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp Dijon mustard( I didn't have any Dijon so I used Honey Mustard)
1/2 tsp salt
3 drops hot pepper sauce( I skipped this)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake at 450* for about 8 minutes or until edges just begin to Brown.
Remove from oven and discard foil.
Set crust aside.
Place asparagus in a small saucepan with enough water to cover;cook until crisp- tender.
Drain thoroughly;toss with Swiss cheese, chicken, 1/4 cup pecans, onions and flour.
Spoon into baked crust.
Combine cream, eggs, mustard, salt and hot pepper; pour over asparagus mixture.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining pecans.
Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 6-8 servings

5 comments:

welcometomyfrontporch said...

YUM! I am SO stealing this recipe!

Nancy Remling said...

This looks amazing! I'm going to try it! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never had a quiche with nuts. It sounds delicious.

petite nyonya said...

Wow, this quiche looks totally fantastic!! I would love to try this one day.
p/s Hope your feeling of a mini vacation in Asia will come true real soon :D.

Michele said...

What an unusual recipe. I think it looks really delicious!