Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2009

SMS Caramel Apple Turnovers

A big thanks to Tracey of Tracey's Culinary Adventures for choosing this weeks recipe. The Caramel Apple Turnovers are awesome and you can find the recipe on her blog. Do you see the bees on my plate! I thought they fit perfectly with SMS!
It's been so crazy busy lately. I have dove straight into the world of child abuse issues, Health and Welfare, drug rehabs and dead beat parents. I'm so thankful I have this opportunity to serve CASA and help children. It is so sad but the work needs to be done.
So on to the turnovers..thank GOD for baking. It's such a great stress reliever and takes your mind away to a much calmer state, it does for me anyways!
I got these great Apples from Costco!
I absolutely loved these turnovers. I thought the filling was extremely yummy. I did not deal with the puff pastry's. I have had not so charming experiences with it before, so I made my own crust..pie crust..easy and it worked well.

17 comments:

Cristine said...

Great idea to use pie crust! Your turnovers look yummy! Love the bee plate!

Megan said...

Yeah! I made pie crust also - I couldn't get puff pastry from the store (they were out). I thought these were great and a definite make again.

And I agree - baking is a terrific stress reliever and it sounds like you need it in your line of work.

Stephanie said...

Pie crust! How delicious! It was probably fantastic! I love the idea of it with the cream on top, mmmmm

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Those turnovers look really good ;)

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to check out chocolate-making kit giveaway on my site :)

Margot

Jessica said...

I bet that pie crust was so yummy with the filling. It sounds fantastic. I love the bee plate too -- it's adorable.

NKP said...

Pie crust is a great idea, like little hand pies! We loved these too.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I would have totally preferred pie crust! How smart of you. I'm glad you've taking on the work with CASA - I know someone who does this around here, and she is quite dedicated. Great job.
Nancy

Fit Chick said...

Pie crust sound nice and easy; your turnovers look delicious!!!

Lulu the Baker said...

I bet they were really tasty with pie crust! I love any kind of pie you can hold in your hand. Meat pies, apple pies, berry pies...I'm making myself very hungry!

margot said...

Puff pastry can be pretty fussy, pie crust was a good idea. It's nice that baking is helping you with the stress from your position; I admire people who can take on issues like that.

Unknown said...

Glad you were able to make them work with pie crust - yum! They look like they turned out beautifully. I'm so glad you enjoyed them - they were a big hit with me too. Thanks for baking with me this week :)

Cate said...

The turnovers look great - so nice and rustic.

Elyse said...

I thought these turnovers were great, too!! I'm so glad baking is as great of a stress reliever for you as it is for me. Your turnovers look totally delicious!

Anonymous said...

Your turnovers look great. I'm glad they were a hit!

Katiecakes said...

What a good idea to use pie crust. bet they were super rich and tasty :)

Katie xox

Eliana said...

Pie crust gave your turnovers an awesome, rustic look. Great job. And yes - Thank God For Baking!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Michelle, your turnovers look wonderful! I love that you used pie crust instead of puff pastry, like little apple hand pies, great idea :)

What a blessing that you are able to help those who so desperately need it with CASA. I would love to do something like that when my kids are a little older and in school.