

I don't know why but I was so excited to make this recipe. I think it's because ... I could not participate last Tuesday and well...I LOVE to bake. This past week has been good despite the extra stress thrown in our life's. I'm always amazed how prayer and support from loved ones and family is the thread to keeping it all together!

Now on to the custard... I'm so thankful we get to read all of the comments before we actually bake. Dorie was kind enough to leave one and said basically , the eggy thing is going to be happening in this recipe..and if you don't like it you need a different recipe. That's whats fun about this group we get to try new things and some things we LOVE and others hit the trash can.
Before I forget. Thank you Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles for choosing this weeks recipe. It was super easy and fun to make.
My son Samuel is taking violin lessons and does a beautiful job of playing. I got him to play for me while I baked this recipe. He was so cute introducing the songs and playing them. He has been playing for two years now and loves it. It gives me such joy to hear him and see him blossom and grow into such a fine young man. I guess I could not have asked for a better day of baking and hearing my son play. It snowed out today so the cozy warmness of my kitchen and the lovely aroma filling the air was like a little bit of heaven on earth.
I decided to make some little tarts with my "No Fail pie crust" and use the left over custard for my ramkins. I was able to make 15 mini tarts and two ramkins full of eggy custard . I did cut back on the eggs using only 3 and I used half and half instead of whole milk. I also added a drop of almond extract. I was very pleased with how it set up. As far as the taste lets just say the custard tarts reminded me of quiche..if we added some ham it would have been perfect! I knew my family would be more likely to eat little pies then a cup full of custard. I put sprinkles for a little festive spring flare and whipped topping cus I LOVE the taste.
These little cuties didn't want to come out of their pan entirely whole , but it didn't stop us from eating them!
23 comments:
What a great idea! They just look so cute!! YUM!
Your little tarts look great, I love the sprinkles, they seem to brighten everything up! I was thinking along the same lines as you and wanted to do mini lemon pies this week but after reading the P&Q decided I'd better just make a seperate non-eggy lemon treat.
Your son playing the violin is amazing, I can just imagine what a wonderful day that was baking with violin music and snow falling outside. The stuff dreams are made of :)
Great choice to make tarts!!
I love that you made tarts! They look delicious.
And you have such a great blog name.
i love the idea of little tarts, and i love that you baked to live violin music:) i played the violin for many years. i hope your son continues.
and i'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. i hope that your time in the kitchen baking was restorative during these stressful times.
WOW! I love that you had live music to accompany your baking! There is nothing more soothing than a the sounds of violins! I used to play for a long time... I miss it! Your tartlettes look delicious!
How adorable.
What a brilliant idea.
Your little violinist is adorable! How wonderful it must have been to bake to beautiful live music! GREAT call adding a tart crust to the custards. I think I would have enjoyed them more if there was a little flour somewhere in the vicinity. I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed these. I've been thinking about you and hope that things are going well with your family.
What a great idea!! Good job making them into something your family would eat. Its funny that they seemed savory instead of sweet though.
I love what you did with this! These tarts are so cute!
in tarts!!! haha i never thought of that. brilliant! and they looks so good too! good job michelle!
How cool are the little tarts! How creative.
Creative idea. I bet several of the TWDers would have liked the custard this way. Great job.
What a great idea to make tarts out of them! Very creative.
The tarts are so cute...I think this might be the thing to do...maybe I will try this tomorrow and see if the custard elicits a little more interest served that way. Very nice job on the custard, too. How fun...the violin...we did it for years and then swimming overtook our lives!
Although I skipped out this week, I was thinking about making the custard in the same way that you did! That would've been a great treat around here! Nice job.
It's so much fun seeing all the wonderfully creative treats other bakes make. Those are adorable!
Michelle, thank so much for your sweet comment! I love visiting your blog too, you are such an inspiration with running, I used to run but haven't in a few years and really want to get back to it. Also, it's really nice to see another mom with kids that are only ten months apart (I have two 'three year olds' until late April), and you still manage to do wonderful baking :)
I think your tart idea was great! I bet they tasted really good!!
How cute Samuel is! I tried to do the tart thing too, but it did not work out for me.
Fantastic! They look great! :)
How cute :) Great idea!
I couldn't find a recipe and I want to make them, they are adorable! Can you send me the recipe?
Post a Comment