Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TWD Berry Surprise Cake

Thank you Mary Ann of Meet me in the Kitchen for choosing the yummy Berry Surprise cake. You can see her cake and the recipe by going to her blog.
I love raspberries. These babies cost me a pretty penny!
My batter was nice and thick....It was quite the surprise when my little cake didn't rise. Well not really...some of my cakes turn out fine, but most of them flop because of the high altitude. We are at 4, 462 feet. I did a little research and found out what I will try next time I bake a cake...... Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon. Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 0 to 2 tablespoons.
Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons. Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
I followed the recipe to a T and didn't even take 1 short cut. My cake batter was nice and thick and passed the ribbon testing technique. I baked it for the time it said to and it looked so nice with a toasted brownness when it came out of the oven ,but it had a dip in the center. Well, with all the time it took to make this cake ,I wasn't about to start over so I just made do. I was not able to cut it and pack the stuff in the middle so I piled it high in the crater and frosted over that.
See the dip......
There was no way I could cut it...... See how short...but so good!!
The taste of this cake was incredible and my family enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not sure I would make it again because of all the steps and the fear it would not rise again.

28 comments:

Sihan said...

Don't fear it! embrace it!!! that cake look and taste darn good anyway! cheers to that.

Cristine said...

Your cake looks tasty! Can I have a slice? :)

Shelby said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure baking is a challenge in high altitudes!

Cathy said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed this! It looks just great! Mine did not rise either, but I can't blame it on high altitude. You know, I noticed that the King Arthur Flour blog has some tips on high-altitude baking: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/high-altitude-baking.html

Nice job on the cake!

Danielle said...

I am sorry your cake didnt turn out the way you had hoped. At least it still tasted amazing and the family loved it!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cake looks yummy even if it is on the short side!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Ha! Yours rose more than mine did!!! Looks delicious even though it was hard to cut! :)

Sabrina said...

You did a great job! Looks so pretty! And yes those darn raspberries were expensive!

Anonymous said...

I love the way your cake looks--the contrasting colors of berries and toppping.

chocolatechic said...

Wow! I didn't realize that you were so high up.

Looks great.

Peggy said...

I think yours looks delicious! I wanted to use raspberries, but they did not look too fresh at my market, so I went with the strawberries. Mine rose, but it just didn't have much taste to it. There's always next week I say!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your sweet compliment. I think my cake worked because we added meringue powder into it. My neighbor is in TWD and we baked together in case this fell apart! I think your cake looks delicious, too. And I agree with HoneyB, I am sure it is hard to bake in high alts.

Anonymous said...

This looks great. Who can resist berries, whipped cream, and cake, all together in one dessert?

Anonymous said...

ok, so your cake didn't turn out the way you had hoped, but gosh, it looks SO TASTY!

snicketmom said...

I think my cake fell more than yours and I am at altitude 470 feet. It looks like you did a great job!

Audrey said...

Seems like everyone had trouble with this, but your cake still looks delicious. Even if it was a onetime treat, I'll bet it was a great one!

Ivette said...

I think our cakes were somehow related.. had I taken a picture of the bread alone you would have agreed with me! But.. also.. I bet yours tasted as wonderful as mine did!! :)

*Thanks for your comment

Engineer Baker said...

Mine dipped a lot too, but it just means more room for filling, right? And as long as it tastes good, I'm not going to complain :)

Jennifer said...

My cake came out exactly like yours but I don't have high altitude as an issue! Just poor technique, I guess!
I'm glad you enjoyed the taste, mine was a bit chewy.

dharmagirl said...

your cake looks delicious and just so inviting.

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job! Glad you enjoyed it!

Pamela said...

You did a great job. I like mine to look good, too. But really, as long as you enjoyed it, that's all that counts!

The Food Librarian said...

As someone who is 5'2", short IS good! :) Looks very tasty!!

Every Day Blessings said...

I am going to love your blog! I love new receipes!I am so glad that you looked me up.I am going to add you to my blog list unless you object.
Blessings,
Debbie

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'm so glad you got to use your raspberries and that everyone liked the taste. I'm in no hurry to repeat this one, but like you, I have some plans for next time.
Good job!
Nancy

Melissa said...

Oh wow, those raspberries look fantastic. I bet they were worth every cent!

Liz said...

I had the same experience! I think I'd make this cake again with a different cake recipe. But the concept and cream is delish!

margot said...

Your cake looks delicious. Mine was short too, so I made an extra one.