Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sweet little Corn muffins

Thank you Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake for choosing this weeks recipe. You can find it on page 6 of Dories cookbook, From my home to yours.
Oh my goodness did these taste good smothered with butter and plum jam on top!
The muffin batter was easy to mix....
I used my mini muffin pans..... Here is a little sweet history for you.....
Muffin recipes first began to appear in print in the mid 18th century and quickly caught on. By the 19th century muffin men walked the streets of England at tea time to sell there muffins. They wore trays of English muffins on there heads and rang there bells to call customers to there wares. Three states in the United States of America have adopted official muffins. Minnesota has adopted the blueberry muffin as the official state muffin. Massachusetts in 1986 adopted the Corn Muffin as the official state muffin. Then in 1987 New York took on the Apple Muffin as its official muffin of choice. So next time you bite into a warm muffin think about its sweet history.
I did not make the savory pepper muffin. I chose to try Dorie's Playing Around and kept my muffins plain without all the spices. I just couldn't bring myself to add chili pepper and more pepper to my muffins. I guess I like my food more on the dessert side of life!
I like these muffins and so did my family!
Sorry my picture is so dark.. the muffin guy is smiling at you!!
Join TWD next week as we bake the Berry Surprise Cake found on pages 273-275. Im looking fwd to baking this one!

25 comments:

Shelby said...

cute little smile ;)

Pamela said...

Cute and happy muffins! Great job.

Jamie said...

Cute minis!

Sabrina said...

Very cute!! Love the smile!

chocolatechic said...

Love the smile.


I didn't add the spices to mine either.

We loved them.

Teanna DiMicco said...

I'd smile too if I had one of your muffins slathered in jam! Yum!

Kayte said...

Oh, I loved all the little toppings...so cute and festive!

www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

Kimberly Johnson said...

Love the smiley face! Your muffins look great.

Cathy said...

I bet these were GREAT sweet with jam. Yum! Love the muffin history lesson too!

The Unrepentant Carbivore said...

love your sweet little muffins and the smiley face! A sweet version slathered in jam and butter just sounds so lovely; it's making me think about having tea time...

Anonymous said...

Your muffins with the jam look wonderful. Great job!

TeaLady said...

Sweet muffins with jam sounds just perfect. Yours look yummy!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Oh, I never would have thought of trying them with jam. Yum!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Cute smiley face! :) They look great!

Peggy said...

Loved the history! Great muffins. I soooo loved these!

Danielle said...

very cute in the mini version.
I loved them covered in butter myself!

Maria said...

I love the final photo!! The muffins look great!

Unknown said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty and adorable, too!

Katy said...

Cute mini muffins! And I love the smiley muffins :)

Lillian said...

I was going to try the plain version, but we were having them with roast chicken. Next time, though, definitely!

Anonymous said...

i love the mini muffins. i made mine jumbo, and while they were yummy, they were a lot to eat in one sitting.

glad to know the plain version came out well. i'm definitely going to try them that way too. great job!

Anonymous said...

Love the smiling muffin man!

I made mine plain as well and LOVED them! Yours are so precious!

The Food Librarian said...

Love the minis! And those jams look sooo delicious!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

odYour muffins look wonderful! I was almost thinking of making the non-spicy version as well because we love every kind of corn muffin. The plum jam sounds delicious, I don't think I've ever tried that! Love the muffin history and state muffins, what an educational post :)

Unknown said...

Look at your blog growing!! I LOVE the pictures...you are really getting good at this, Mich - I'm so impressed! Where's the berry cake pictures? I'm still having a few problems finding my way around these blogs. Since there's no picture in the cookbook, I would love to see what it looks like when baked. Her cookbook really is incredible - I am so glad we found it (wasn't it you that recommended it to me??). Congrats on your blog and keep up the great posting...Sally