Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

{FFWD} Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake

 Another FFWD is here and today I'm going to show you my Cream of Wheat cake.

 I was so scared to lift the lid...


It looked all right...
 But what happened to the golden caramel topping?
 This is before I flipped .....

 It was more like a glaze....
 I l-o-v-e-d this ..I love hot cereal so I really enjoyed this dessert. I would make it again and next time crumble it over the top of my oatmeal!!
My family loved it too!! This one is a winner!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting your caramel topping became more of a glaze consistency! Great post! Glad you enjoyed it!

Elaine said...

I like your anticipation photos! It sounds like even with a glaze-like topping it was terrific. We also loved this cake and I agree with you that I would happily crumble this over anything!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it. I'm a big fan of Cream of Wheat, but I didn't care for this one very much. I might try it again, as so many other people seemed to like it.

Cher Rockwell said...

I agree. Dessert for breakfast (or with breakfast) is a winner any day. Glad it worked out for you!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Mine didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but that's ok. Hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Steph said...

Wow, did your caramel stay in the pan? So interesting. I loved this cake! Glad you liked it too.

Kris' Kitchen said...

One of the things I like about this Dorie project is that I get to read all the posts from fellow FFwD participants. I learn from you all and from how your foods turn out. It is fun to try new things and to get tips from everyone. Enjoyed your post.

Anonymous said...

Oh the anticipation! ;-) Glad you liked it even though the caramel didn't quite turn out.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see how each person's version turns out. My caramel wasn't very oozy, either. (If oozy is a word, that is.) I loved the cake, too - so much like a bread pudding. I liked your photo sequence.

Serene @ MomFood said...

I liked this, but not enough more than hot cereal for the extra work. Your photos are fun, though! :-)

Cakelaw said...

I agree - this one is a winner - and it looks like you left out the raisins, which I would next time. Glad this one was a hit at your house.

Bibberche said...

It's amazing to observe so many different results from the same recipe! I didn't get the ooze, either, but the caramel seeped into the cake, which gave it a slight bitter taste - very interesting.
I liked it, but I love cream of wheat.

Unknown said...

Oh your cake looks delish! Je suis jaloux! My caramel burnt. I absolutely adore the as it's happening photos!
:)

Lindsey said...

I look forward to attempting this one again, with all of the intended ingredients. Your version looks delicious. A perfect winter treat!

Anonymous said...

Since you love cream of wheat, it's no wonder you loved this cake. I liked your "ta-da" picture when you lifted the lid. Mine didn't come out of the pan so easily, not sure why.

luciacara said...

Wow - I wonder what happened with the caramel?! Good to know that it still was good without it! I'm not surprised, though. Even though I did manage to get the caramel on mine, it was still a light flavor - and I really liked this cake cold so the caramel didn't add a lot of extra flavor when chilled. I'll be making this one again.

Hindy said...

We loved this one too. I guess I should post a picture. Where is your caramel? Hmm...

Katrina said...

That is strange that your caramel disappeared. While making the caramel twice, it crystalized. I was annoyed and made a different Dorie caramel, with the dry pan, sugar browned, added cream. It worked. I used Chocolate Malt-o-Meal and added chocolate chips. It was just okay. Too cerealy to me to be a dessert. But fun to try. Glad you liked it so well.

Mary said...

My picture only shows a tiny portion of my cake because I lost a ton of it when I flipped it over...oh, the evil flip over!

Eliana said...

Even though it was golden what counts is that it was delicious :)