Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2009

SMS Apple Orchard Pecan Crumble

Fresh nutmeg....
My grandmother left me this apple peeler...I love it.
Before the oven...
Baked!
My parents..
My daddy enjoying his crumble...
My parent's again..
It's Sunday ,October 4 and time for Sweet Melissa Sunday! Thank you Cristine for choosing this weeks recipe of Apple Orchard Pecan Crumble check out her blog for the recipe. http://cristinecooks.blogspot.com/ Today is homecoming in our college town. We always have a Parade finishing up with the football game. Ever since I was a kid I remember the excitement in the air and the fun we had. Now I'm back raising my own kids in the town I grew up in. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be back here. But back here I am, it's been five years now, and I love every minute of it! Today is a fun day and it even more fun spending it with my parents. We had a great lunch together followed with the Apple/Pecan crumble. I served everyone a healthy portion and gave them a choice of Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt(it's like ice cream), Real Vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. It got super quiet and all I could here is mmmmm and this is sooo good! So as you can see it was a hit with my family. I thought it was good but really sweet. I think the apples would make it sweet enough with out a cup of sugar,not to mention all the sugar in the crumble. I would leave the sugar out of the apples next time. The Crumble was awesome. I thought the amount was perfect. I really enjoyed using the pecans instead of the usual walnuts I usually put in my crisps, cobblers and crumbles(by the way is not a crumble the same as a crisp)?

16 comments:

Nina said...

The apple peeler is really cool looking. Your crumble looks amazing too!

As for homecoming, this week was Cal's homecoming week too. Lots of hurrah going on, but it'll die down when the parents leave....

Michele said...

Your tart looks super delicious!

Megan said...

Thanks for the heads up about the sugar in the filling. My parents love crumbles too, so I think I'll make this one today.

Julie said...

I have one of those apple peelers too. Eventhough most of the year it just takes up room, it's such a great tool during apple season.

I loved this week's bake and your crumble looks so good!

Unknown said...

I have a similar apple peeler and I really like using it when I have a ton of apples to peel. Your crumble looks terrific! I halved the sugar in the apple filling and it was still plenty sweet (even for me and I have a crazy sweet tooth) so it definitely works with less :)

Susan said...

Your crumble looks delicious. I almost baked mine in a pie dish but was afraid it would be too small.

Every Day Blessings said...

I agree this was delicious. Yesterday it was cool and a perfect day for this crumble. Yours looks delicious.I'm glad that you got to spend the day with your family.

Melissa said...

Looks great! I wish I had that apple peeler!

Shandy said...

I just love that your parents joined you and your family Michelle. I do not think there is a better way to share then with those you love the most. Your crumbles looks just delicious!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Great photos. I love the apple peeler. Glad your family enjoyed it.

Lulu the Baker said...

I have an apple contraption too, and I think it is the best invention ever! My brother came to visit us last summer, and he spent so much time peeling and eating apples (I guess he thought it was a really cool contraption too!), so we bought him one for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

mm your crumble looks great!!

Mrs. G said...

Love the family heriloom. Your crumble looks tasty.

Sarah said...

Looks great! I'm jealous of your apple corer, I've been looking at them online the last couple of days, and I'm going to have to get one. The crumble would be so fast with one! I couldn't believe the recipe called for a cup of sugar in the apples. I left it out. The crumble was incredible, and still plenty sweet.

Anonymous said...

Your crumble looks great! I love the apple peeler.

Sweet as Coco said...

Crumble looks good! I need to get one of those handy apple peelers!!!