Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Love them scones!


This will be my first blog. I decided to start off with a recipe for some scones I love. We moved from a larger city to a small town about 4 years ago. The bakery scene is really lacking here. I decided my baked goods would have to do. While living in the town prior to this I had a favorite coffee shop called Big City. My friends and I would go and devour there scones. The scones came in all flavors, peach and blueberry were my favorites. I distinctly remember the big crystal sugar chunks on them. So I made this recipe in memory of my favortie place to buy scones!

Recipe for Crystal Sugar Scones

Ingredients:

6 tbsp of cold butter

2 cups white flour

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp all-spice

3/4 cup blueberries, strawberries or what ever you like

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 egg

Butter for topping

Large Crystal sugar for topping. You can use what ever color you like.

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400*

Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and all-spice in large bowl.

Cut in the cold butter until pea size crumbs form

Add what ever type of fruit you desire, fold in gently as not to crush the berries.

In seperate small mixing bowl beat the egg in the buttermilk.

Gently fold into the dry/fruit mixture

Turn dough out on to a floured surface and make one big round ball.

Divide dough into eight wedges and brush with melted butter, roll in large crystal sugar.

Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper

Bake for 20 to 22 min. or until slightly browned on top.

2 comments:

Shandy said...

WoW! Your mountain cookies look delicious and Your BLOG is BEAUTIFUL! You really did it! I feel so proud =D

Shandy said...

I left this comment on the wrong entry! I'm sorry. Your scones loos absolutely delicious too! You pictures make the food look inviting and yummy.